front towing rings

· 3 · 1640

CBRCBR

front towing rings
« on: November 22, 2010, 08:49:36 PM »
According to my parts catalogue part no 242139 is the towing ring (for a 109V8) for front mounting.  It has 4 x 12mm holes for securing it to the chassis (using NRC5955 which appear to be M10x140mm bolts) and bumper (using SH110401L which appear to be M10x40 bolts).

Why are the bolts M10, and the holes 12mm.

Do I put the M10x140 standard bumper bolts onto the chassis, and get M12x40 bolts for the bumper, or are the bolts from the parts catalogue okay, or do I get M12's all round if they fit the holes in the chassis?

The parts catalogue does not show a spreader plate on the bumper. Is it necessary consiering I am only doing TYRO's but hope to move up to RTV's at some stage.

Cheers
Clive

discoverypete

• Name: Peter Williamson
Re: front towing rings
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 05:45:36 PM »
This sound like one for the scrutineers.
Phone Bobby at GEMM in Larbert he will tell you whats what.

ZebraDriver

Re: front towing rings
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 06:07:05 PM »
Best thing is to use the largest bolts (sensibly) possible.  Make sure they are high tensile though (on a metric bolt the head should have a number cast into it, you are looking for 8.8 or higher).

The reason for the M10 bolts may be to allow for the usual Land-Rover tolerance for assembly, I'm sure you have come across this on other LR parts.

Make sure that the front of the dumb irons is sound before fitting and using these recovery points, as your going to be taking the bumper bolts off anyway take the bumper off and check out the front end of the chassis - its also a good time to paint this inaccessible area. 

If the bumper bolts haven't been off recently allow yourself plenty of time for doing this job because the nuts are almost always siezed solid and there is very restricted access to the nuts, you can't get in to them with a grinder and you can't cut the head off the bolts because that won't release them either!

I use two of the same recovery points on my LR. I carry a short rope and a shackle in addition to my main recovery rope that way I can make a bridle across them so that a serious recovery pull can be spread over both of them.

Hope this helps

ZD