3.5 V8 wont start.

· 41 · 9162

bertracoon1616

Re: 3.5 V8 wont start.
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2010, 08:00:15 PM »
Cheers for that steve.

Im going to try a few more things that have been suggested (change to more appropriate plugs, apparently the ones that are in are not best suited to the engine) but failing that ive contacted Armson Automotive Engineers to see if he can have a look next time he is up this way.

Suggestions still welcome, im not giving up on this!

Cheers

Ally
1995 Discovery 3.9 V8

Give it the beans!!

mudpuddle

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2010, 09:10:32 PM »
I would recommend a email to bobtail phil he had this problem with 3.5. it might help

Sandy

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2010, 09:18:04 PM »
Surely it's the lack of a ballast resistor in series with the coil which increases the coil voltage when cranking. But if it is open circuit then when the ignition switch comes back off of "cranking" there is no current through the coil and no sparks at the plugs.

That all said, if electronic ignition is fitted is there still a ballast resistor?

Are the valves opening and closing?

Sandy.

top drive

• They gave me an MOT - fools
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2012, 09:24:50 PM »
I now own this car - engines going in my 90 - sorry for long winded reply but it might help someone else in future given this is the first thread that comes up when you google "3.5 rover v8 wont start"

Wen i bought it it would fire of sorts - had to hold the key round for ages to get engine up to speed and once going  would backfire under load and stall if you tried to drive it.

I first took off the electronic choked carbs as it had a bit of pipe jammed int he back of it and didnt seem to do owt at all and engine ran like shite cold

I fitted a set of manual chokes that came on an engine i got off bob on here which i wanted the gear box from

Manual choke on , she didnt fire at all , getting worried id screwed it up totally at this point. But it has been sitting for 4 months since i last had it firing even roughly

Worked round the engine cleaned up the dizzy cap , checked the timing , checked resistance of leads , cleaned up the sparkplugs - checked for spark , nada

Bought new spark plugs , fitted and checked no1 against the body agan , got a single spark despite starter turning fast.

Checked the coil inputs , it was getting a single 12v input and 10v output when the key was  round , and cutting power when the key came back to running position. -

Wired it up to what i thought would give me a perminant 12 in and 10v output

Pulled the plug and earthed out , turned the key ( no choke t this point and its -4 outside) and got a bright blue light show of repeated sparks and the engine roared into life , killed it , stuck the plug back in , pulled the choke out , turned key and first turn it roared into life just as bobs trialer did at his yard .i never thought id get this engine to run like that. , once warm revs freely no backfiring. Shes a little bit smokey but shes been sat for nigh on 3 years i think and running like crap any time she has been running in that time.

Project v8 90 is back on after spending so long getting this bugger running !
`87 ninety - full rebuild with 11l 200tdi conversion ,2 inch lift and 13 inch shocks and relevent protection/sliders./ dislocation cones

Goes like a stabbed rat.

top drive

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2012, 09:40:49 PM »
And to be fair to ali and rangerovering the discos wiring is a bloody mess , and now i have it working when it goes in my 90 ill be rewiring it to be much neater and safer.
`87 ninety - full rebuild with 11l 200tdi conversion ,2 inch lift and 13 inch shocks and relevent protection/sliders./ dislocation cones

Goes like a stabbed rat.

rangerovering

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2012, 10:58:03 PM »
And to be fair to ali and rangerovering the discos wiring is a bloody mess , and now i have it working when it goes in my 90 ill be rewiring it to be much neater and safer.

Good plan, I tried to get it goign before and the wiring was indeed interesting!

The original problem was fuel pressure, couldnt fill the carbs up it was that pathetic. They did get it started but dont think it ran for long on a coke can lol Hope you get some good running out it now  8)
Steve

top drive

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2012, 11:02:33 PM »
The facet external pump spits fuel over the bonnet with no problems at all , was that on when you had a go or was it still the in tank pump ?

Goes like a stabbed rat.

rangerovering

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2012, 10:56:56 AM »
I really don't know dude Stu from Armson AE did it but I wasn't with him at the time.
Steve

bertracoon1616

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2012, 02:04:34 PM »
It was that pump that was the problem, it was new and it was running using that pump to begin with but then the problems at the start of this thread began. In the end Stuart took it off, beat it with a hammer and that seemed to sort it. Classic bit of engineering.

1995 Discovery 3.9 V8

Give it the beans!!

bertracoon1616

« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2012, 02:07:19 PM »
Stu said it was a good engine when he had it going. Said it sounded smooth and that the cam sounded ok too.
1995 Discovery 3.9 V8

Give it the beans!!

disco chas

• Old Boy with old toys!!
  • Name: Charlie Cook
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2012, 07:07:28 AM »
Are the dash pots filled with oil, unscrew the top of each carb and check needles move up and down easily.
Cheers and good luck. You can't beat the the sound of a v8.
Charlie
Ser 3 2.4
90 200 L reg