3.5 V8 wont start.

· 41 · 9164

bertracoon1616

3.5 V8 wont start.
« on: October 17, 2010, 01:34:44 PM »
Hey guys.

Im in dire need of someone who knows their carburettors!
Ive got an 89 V8 discovery with SU carbs but it just will not draw fuel through them. They were bought new just over a year ago and were working fine to begin with but it stalled one day and has never been right since.

Ive tried everything i can think of to get them running, had them to bits and cleaned all the fuel pipes and needles ect.

Im genuinely at a loss.

Can anyone help me or give me the number of someone in the Angus, Forfar area who could give me a hand or some tips.

Cheers

Alasdair Tannock.
1995 Discovery 3.9 V8

Give it the beans!!

Navigator

• Discovery 4 Causeway
  • Name: Stuart Clink
Re: 3.5 V8 wont start.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 02:54:16 PM »
Fuel pump getting up to pressure? Cleaned ALL fuel filters (is there one inside tank on pick-up pipe?) Blown through feed and return fuel lines? Will it fire if you squirt in some "Easi-Start" or similar volatile fuel?
Navigator          GM1VBE

bertracoon1616

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 03:14:54 PM »

The fuel pump was also replaced when the carbs were and there is plenty of fuel coming out the pipe when i take it off the inlet for the carb.

I havent cleaned all the filters but im not entirely sure where they all are. The pump in the fueltank has been replaced by a "Facet" one under the bonnet (ive been told they were notorious for breaking down and this is the most common solution)

The car has been messed with quite a bit and looks as if a fair bit of it has been botched so im not entirely sure what all the bits of hose are doing!!

As for the Easi-start method, if i pour fuel straight into the block through the air intakes it does fire so im assuming its not the sparks but it does need a tune.....BIG TIME!

Also i just took it for a tow and put it in gear and it sounded like it was trying to fire ("pop splutter splutter bang") and i think it may have run for about 5 seconds but it still wont start.

If i put up a photo of under the bonnet would that help?

Thank for the fast reply.

Ally Tannock
1995 Discovery 3.9 V8

Give it the beans!!

David Drysdale

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 07:00:02 PM »
Are you sure your timing is set correctly? Definately not got the firing order mixed up or set the timing to wrong top dead center. Even badly tuned SU carbs should get you running aslong as there is fuel getting to them you will run poorly but it should start for a while atleast. Are you getting any blow back through the carbs when it does fire?

rangerovering

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 10:08:41 PM »
Are the needles rising properly? I'm not 100% up on SU'd becuase I have strombergs, but if you wanted me to take a look then maybe we could arrange something? I am at Kinross so not a million miles away.
Steve

bertracoon1616

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 05:32:30 PM »
Hey

Im certain that the timing is set up properly ive checked it several times, there is just no fuel coming through the carbs, the needles only flutter up and down when its turning over and even if i lift them manually there is still no fuel coming thro

"rangerovering", i may take you up on your offer, are you ever up this way, (forfar)?

Cheers again guys, im also now looking at converting it to diesel!
1995 Discovery 3.9 V8

Give it the beans!!

rangerovering

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 05:41:31 PM »
Nooooo don't do a diesel! The fuel of satin >:(

Will PM you and see if we can arrange something?
Steve

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 05:55:51 PM »
Nooooo don't do a diesel! The fuel of satin >:(

Satin - Should run pretty smooth then !!   ;D
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

rangerovering

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 06:07:14 PM »
d'oh meant to say Satan! Thought it looked a bit funny with an "i" righ enough :D
Steve

cooltshirt

• savethegaywhale.com
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 06:55:00 AM »
Hi
Had a read of all this and:

You say there is fuel at the carb inlet pipe so (I assume the pump is ticking and picking up fuel) try and start it then remove a spark plug. It should smell of petrol. SU's don't really flood so often don't smell at all esp if choke faulty, see below.
If so is there a spark? Take care and an assistant will help!
You say the timing is correct .......... so hasn't been altered since it was running ok? If it has it could easily be 180 deg out.(which causes popping banging but no start) ...... I have started reluctant V8's by removing the HT leads for cyls 1 2 7 8 this makes for a better spark at the remaining cyls
If there is a spark and plugs smell of fuel is the choke working? If HIF carbs then elec choke and problems likely. Remove air intake elbows and part cover inlets with something and try to start (take care!)
If it starts then switch off and check choke electrics ........ start at water temp sender. Does the water temp gauge work?
Obviously only get involved with HT circuits and fuel if you are familiar with these things..........A sorted V8 should be very reliable ............ and I'd be surprised if converting disco to diesel is worth the bother.
Good luck
1983 110 V8. RIP

bertracoon1616

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 06:44:51 PM »
Hey guys really appreciating how much feedback im getting, finding it all really helpful!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SU-Carburettor-linkage-Land-Range-Rover-P5-P6-Kitcar-MG-/170553019110?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27b5c08ae6

It is these exact carbs that are on it and they have a wierd electric choke that i dont really understand and im not sure if it is wired up properly so the problem could well be the electric choke.

Ive tried getting someone to start it while i half covered the air inlets with my hands bit that didnt work either!

i should surely be able to see fuel coming through the needles even if the choke isnt working?? (sorry if thats a stupid question!)

I was just thinking the diesel idea cos ive heard if you have the conversion parts, putting an isuzu 2.8 diesel in them can be a good move and my mum had the same engine in her frontera and it was ace! (shame the rest of the car was pants)

Just realised that that link is for the linkages but like i said, exact same carbs, choke and filters ect.

Please dont give up on me!!

Cheers

Ally Tannock
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 07:50:40 PM by bertracoon1616 »
1995 Discovery 3.9 V8

Give it the beans!!

MrLeadfoot

• Land Rover camper photos
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 08:19:23 PM »
if it was a carb at fault would it not run on 4 cylinders?

rangerovering

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 08:31:54 PM »
Still unclear as to whether the plugs are getting wet? If yes then there is a spark problem, a timing problem or a compression problem.
If no, then there is something wrong with the carbs. The engine should still fire, or at least try to, even without the choke.
Steve

MrLeadfoot

• Land Rover camper photos
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
is the manifold tight to the heads?

boghog

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 09:21:30 PM »

I was just thinking the diesel idea cos ive heard if you have the conversion parts, putting an isuzu 2.8 diesel in them can be a good move and my mum had the same engine in her frontera and it was ace! (shame the rest of the car was pants)

Let me think. Spend a couple of hours thinking logically about where the fuel is actually going (or not going) or spend a number of days and lots of cash converting to something that smells like a lorry and sound rubbish. Difficult choice, I think not!

Problem is not the engine or fuel type, just the fact that something is not quite right. Ever tried getting a broken diesel to work?

Hope the light-bulb illuminates above your head and you get it sussed.  :)