looking for a offroad club to join

· 25 · 5559

goldy66

looking for a offroad club to join
« on: October 07, 2010, 10:00:49 PM »
Hi i am looking for a offroad club to join that holds driving days I attened your driving day in sept near bathgate had a ball how ofter does the club hold these days I have a lightweight landy that is not road legal not sure if I could use it in tyro / rtvs as it is not road taxed just looking for fun driving recovery like we do on pay and play sites 

coolcamper55

Re: looking for a offroad club to join
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 10:49:39 PM »
Not up on the rules Gary, but welcome to the forum and hopefully to the club.

Pretty sure some of the xperts will be along soon to let you know what you need to have to compete.

LBART

• Name: lee bartlett
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 04:46:53 PM »
Hi Goldy
Welcome to the club.You can run you lightweight in both tyros and rtv but as rtv = road tax vehicle you will need to run at the back of the pack and will be classed as (NPA) no points allocated.recovery as such events will be done by nomonated poeple by clerk of course.

Cheers Lee
TeamBart
Cross Country Motorsport

jumbo

• drive through car wash landrover style
    • photo bucket
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 08:19:01 PM »
i thought all motors used in tyro/rtv had to be road legal, ie mot, tax etc
doug
2005 3door freelander td4
1986 90s/w with 200tdi

warning::: any jokes posted by myself come with a health warning!!!!!

goldy66

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 10:47:01 PM »
NOW HAVE I OPENED UP A CAN OF WORMS

LandRoverV8

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 11:03:02 AM »
no can of worms it is just not all members are aware of what can and cant be done

Alan A

• Name: Alan Agnew
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 07:09:22 PM »
Just to clarify, what Lee said is correct. As long as the vehicle passes scrutineering, which amounts to various basic safety checks, no loose bits, brakes work, no play in the steering, suitable front and rear recovery popints etc., then you can take part at any of our events. To be eligible for championship points then there are a few more things to comply with and obviously in a Road Taxed Vehicle (RTV) trial, the road legal and tax disc bit is pretty important.  ;D

jumbo

• drive through car wash landrover style
    • photo bucket
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 07:24:26 PM »
ah so its actualy perfectly ok to turn up (trailered ::) ) with a non road registered/legal motor and compete in tyro/rtv without mot etc as long as its 'safe' for offroad use? ie it passes safety checks scutineering. id always assumed it was only road legal motors that could be used. i stand sit corrected :D
doug
2005 3door freelander td4
1986 90s/w with 200tdi

warning::: any jokes posted by myself come with a health warning!!!!!

goldy66

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 10:11:15 PM »
ok thanks guys point dont matter to me so thats ok i have front and rear recovery points batteriy is secure and just finished freeing of handbrake so i will have to bring it along some time and see if it pass cheers

aqms987

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 10:55:33 PM »

Surely, as the MOT standard is an absolute minimum for road-worthiness anything less is by definition likely to be unsafe!

AQMS 987

georgew

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 08:52:36 AM »
Anyone concerned or wanting to be sure of road worthyness of an 'offroad only vehicle',
One thats not going to be road taxed or maybe not even registered,maybe not even requiring a SORN can still have a MOT carried out. *doesnt need a Registration number, a chassis number will do*
(I would never trailer a vehicle these days thay doesnt have a SORN, even if it doesnt require one, the police are very suspisious of offroad vehicles on trailers without formal ID's)

You can get a 'daytime only MOT' which deletes some of the lighting requirements,
these dont only exist still for motorcycles.
or
You can arrange with a qualified tester to check your vehicle for you in an informal basis.
You must trailer it anyway, so take it to a station for an inspection.

so ?25-54 & you can have a degree or satisfaction that the vehicle was slightly safe on that day.
Its no different from a fully road legal vehicle with full MOT,
nobody says your vehicle can only be checked once a year, if you have little mechanical knowledge or skill why not have a proffesional look at your vehicle more often.

it might be safe & maintained when it arrives at a RTV, it doesnt mean it is when it leaves one.

Maybe the non MOT & Tax vehicle is better maintaned than some of the 'road legal' ones!
george
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 12:09:26 PM »
Hmmmm. All a bit pointless really. The brakes could fail driving it off the ramp.....

...and as for iving the State an extra opportunity to extract money in return for paperwork, well you obviously have more spare cash than me George !  :D

G.
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

georgew

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 12:57:15 PM »
Not really just a time served mechanic with mates that are MOT inspectors & Motor engineers.
Not all play vehicles like offroad cars & motorbikes are heaps or MOT failures.

If someone doesnt have mechanical knowledge why not pay someone that has?
after all they dont do the annual service on their own home boiler system
 or remove or fill their own teeth if they dont have the training or knowledge.
 well maybe some do.
george

ps, i did mention having it inspected by a trained person on an informal basis,
as in not logged on the computer and having a VOSA test/fee.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 01:03:15 PM by georgew »
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 04:16:18 PM »
Sorry George, I obvioulsy misunderstood what you were on about when you mentioned trailering the vehicle to a Test station and paying ?25-54. Having a competent mate have a look at your vehicle is sensible. Engaging with the Apparatus of the State when you don't have to is not. It might give them ideas....  ;)

G.   
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

mudpuddle

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 01:08:53 AM »
A club that looks after safety is first on the list, but it would be nice to find a club or group of people who enjoy driving thier land rovers, enjoy the out doors, enjoy meeting people and dont get hung up because they are in A CLUB. I've been involved with a club/group that just enjoy thier land rovers and the company it brings, for five years. I've paid no membership and have no regrets. I've been up forest tracks, in mud, over rocks and then went back and had a BQ a few beers. That to me is enjoying the Land Rover brand.