New disk brakes.

· 6 · 1788

discoverypete

• Name: Peter Williamson
New disk brakes.
« on: September 27, 2010, 04:12:16 PM »
Its time to replace my disks. I have seen EBC crossdrilled and grooved disks for sale.
Does anyone know if they are any good and can you use standard brake pads ok?

Pete.

georgew

Re: New disk brakes.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 04:46:56 PM »
If you feel you need the uprated discs,
 surely its worth buying quality pads to go with them?

Are you that heavy on the brakes that you need improved discs?
Standard discs at around ?20 each do a good job IMO.
unless you are into track days.
www.motorsportworld.co.uk
a good company
 & in Scotland, but lots of parts come straight from the Importer/manufacturer at a discount.
or sometime good for discs,
www.devon4x4.com
george
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

sj72blair

• Name: Steven Blair
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 06:18:17 PM »
Hi,
    I run EBC discs and green stuff pads on the front of my old 127 rapier, it's now converted to a camper and tips the scales about the 3 ton mark and is also used for a lot of towing work so also has Goodridge braided flexi hoses and dot 5.1 brake fluid. Never had any problems with fade and the brakes are good once they have a bit of heat in them.
 EBC brakes are a very good quality package if you really need them but I tend to agree with George that a standard quality replacement (lockheed,mintex etc) gives excellent braking if your calipers are in good nick and you have good quality fresh brake fluid in the system and will cope with most situations unless you're really working the brakes hard.

cheers,
           Stevie.

piper5

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 08:26:20 PM »
i am using paddocks vented grooved crossdrilled jobs with genuine landrover pads found that to be a good mix, i tow a 26foot twin axle caravan regularly

mac

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 09:15:52 AM »
Standard every time.  Quality pattern or OEM.  As long as everything is working you should never exceed the standard braking performance.  Best advice is to change the pads when half worn, they are cheap enough.  That way it keeps you brake pistons in good order.

discoverypete

• Name: Peter Williamson
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 09:35:02 AM »
Thanks for your replies.
The reason I was asking was because I can buy a set of EBC disks for not much more than than standard ones and I thought they might last longer or be better in the wet.
Changing the pads more often also sounds like good advice.

Pete.