Disco 2 remap

· 6 · 2041

geoff

Disco 2 remap
« on: September 25, 2010, 03:29:49 PM »
Hi

Thinking about getting my TD5 disco remapped.
Anyone had it done, what are the new figures.

cheers

Geoff

mac

Re: Disco 2 remap
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 04:48:35 PM »
Depends on who does it and how far you want to go!  Even a Stage 1 transforms the car (and generally improves MPG once you get over the initial hoof it everywhere :D ).

Give Gary @ TD5Alive a call or Pete Bell @ BAS.  Both offer a tune by post/over the 'net (via a Nanocom) but for the best results it's best to take the vehicle down.  Gary gives excellent customer service (which is rare these days).

Don't bother with the one size fits all Autologic / Plug in box route.  Warped manifolds etc usually follow. . .

Gary

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 05:33:56 PM »
Depends on who does it and how far you want to go!  Even a Stage 1 transforms the car (and generally improves MPG once you get over the initial hoof it everywhere :D ).

Give Gary @ TD5Alive a call or Pete Bell @ BAS.  Both offer a tune by post/over the 'net (via a Nanocom) but for the best results it's best to take the vehicle down.  Gary gives excellent customer service (which is rare these days).

Don't bother with the one size fits all Autologic / Plug in box route.  Warped manifolds etc usually follow. . .
I haven't had mine done yet but I've heard lots of good reports about both TD5 Alive and BAS on the Discovery Owners Club forum. When I come to get mine done they'll be at the top of my list.
Please let us know how you get on...
MM6GRG
TD5 Discovery

piper5

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 06:04:18 PM »
i have a twisted performance chip running stage one it transformed the towing capability with little difference to the fuel
self fit kit plugs in between the loom and ecu and is switchable

DRH

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 06:24:33 PM »
Geoff

It seems to depend on the age the type of re-map that you can do

I had my 52 plate facelift Disco td5 done by a guy Harry Devine recomended in Falkirk..  Don't know the exact figures are, but it certainly make a big difference to low end torque and top end performance.  On a recent hard motorway/cross country run down to Driffield it returned 31mpg  Tows alot better as well - pulls well with a Defender on a car transporter.

It was done by downloading the data from the ecu with a reader, and sending it somewhere over the internet, and a new file was sent right back.  Reading. remapping and uploading the file took less than an hour.

Its been done about 10 months now and no overheating or manifold problems

Duncan

mac

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 08:37:47 PM »
TD5's with post NNN120 ECU's can be flashed.
Pre NNN120 require a piggyback chip.  These are usually found in  up to 2001 TD5's.

The advantage getting a 'bespoke' tune compared to a 'one size fits all' is like the difference between off the peg and made to measure.  TD5Alive and BAS will do mods as you drive round so you can try it.  To get a big benefit you need to think about larger intercoolers/boost boxes/exhausts/VNT's (the list is endless).  The other advantage is your car gets a health check prior to being 'tuned'.