discovery td5 wont start

· 13 · 17448

james975

discovery td5 wont start
« on: September 24, 2010, 11:01:08 PM »
Hi i have a disco td5 put the key in it turns over and the 4 way flashers come on but wont start help
cheers James

mac

Re: discovery td5 wont start
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 06:31:49 AM »
Sounds like an alarm/immobiliser problem to me.  Presumably the central locking works from the remote fob?  Have you tried the EKA code (key left and right in drivers lock so many times).  Early Disco II's had problems with interference (parking near aerials/transmitters etc etc).

A friend of mine rang me a few months ago saying she couldn't start her Defender.  It never gets locked and she didn't even realise it had an alarm.  Replaced the battery in the fob, alarm armed and disarmed, car started. . .

james975

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 09:51:56 AM »
Hi, replaced the batterys in the fobs, tried the code on the door lock nothing has worked.

sandman77

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 10:51:04 AM »
When the immobiliser is armed the engine wont even turn over so I don't think that is your problem.  Could be a dodgy fuel filter or perhaps air in the fuel system somewhere.  There is a way to prime the system to bleed any air out of it but I cant quite remember what it is (might be turn key to ignition 2 and pump the accelerator pedal 5 times - you will then hear the fuel pump running in bursts for a few minutes while it does it thing).
Is there plenty of fuel in the tank? 

mac

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 12:42:00 PM »
the reason why it pretty much has to be an alarm/immobiliser problem is the hazards coming on surely. . .  when you click the ignition on can you hear the fuel pump priming?

sandman77

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 02:57:29 PM »
the reason why it pretty much has to be an alarm/immobiliser problem is the hazards coming on surely. . .  when you click the ignition on can you hear the fuel pump priming?

Ah, that would be the 4 way flashers?  I was wondering what they were.  Is it possible that the fuel cut off switch in the engine bay has been activated.  I think the hazard lights come on if the car thinks it has been involved in an accident.

james975

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 04:02:02 PM »
The fuel pump is not priming, I got it plugged in to an autologic and it is not reading the drivers door lock so I think it must be something to do with that which is turning on the immobiliser. I was told to tap the fuel cut off with a spanner then reset it but i think the autologic would say that there was a problem with it.

mac

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 04:51:30 PM »
It won't be the 'cut-off' as a TD5 doesn't have a stop solenoid.

piper5

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 06:07:46 PM »
i had a similar problem mine would start but not lock/unlock. turned out to be something i had left plugged into the power socket in the boot, nanocomm came up with door lock faults but pulled the plug out the power socket and it cured it.

Alarmgard

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 11:22:54 AM »
how much fuel is in it?

What has changed since you last used it?

Where are you located?
Colin Rodger

Marshals needed for CompSafari's give me a call if you can help.
Email:colin.rodger@virgin.net or mobile: 07767726075

james975

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 12:39:38 PM »
Hi, there is more than half a tank of fuel. This has happened 3 times in the last 6 months but has always sorted its self out after diconnecting the battery for 5 mins, the last time it happened i had to drive the car for 5 milles home after work and the hazards stayed on. I stay in Edinburgh.

piper5

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 08:49:28 PM »
you say it has happened before was the car parked in the same place, i had imobiliser problems twice before once at home with a cheap wireless mouse in the neighbours jamming the imobilser and the other time at a mates with a wirelss doorbell , towing the car 30 yards away will check this well documented and you can buy a new wireless reciever for about 30quid that stops it

james975

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 12:41:54 PM »
Hi, I moved the car about a mile away to my mates garage and still no joy. I now think the bcu has got wet so i am going to replace it.