s2 landy brakes

· 7 · 2215

roverrob

s2 landy brakes
« on: July 23, 2010, 07:26:42 PM »
hi my mate has got a s2 1958 landy we cant get the brakes to work properly renewed brake cylinders and master cylinder and pipes bled braks good pedal all working leave it 5 mins brake pedal goes near to floor test drive you need to pump pedal to get braks to work. when you pump pedal it is good with no loss of pressure where at a loss any ideas

disco chas

• Old Boy with old toys!!
  • Name: Charlie Cook
Re: s2 landy brakes
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 07:36:33 PM »
Try bleeding front left, then back right. Then front right, then back left. I had a 2a and this is what worked for me. Best of luck , disco chas.
Ser 3 2.4
90 200 L reg

lreay

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 07:58:39 PM »
Not sure what master cylinder will be on yours but if its a CB type its recommended to use pressure to bleed it or raise the front of the vehicle so the master cylinder is in th horizontal position.

Cheers
Luke

roverrob

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 06:55:00 PM »
we have isolated the problem to the front left by clamping the flexy hose , brakes work fine no loss of pedal have renewed the piston but are still getting air on this one side waiting for a new flexy hose to see if this sorts it cant see what else it can be???Thanks for the help guys.

bilko68

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 10:40:07 PM »
Could be movement in the bottom pivot pin or the drums have that much wear that it take 2 pumps to push the shoes out, i sorted this by cutting a piece of brass pipe and fitted it over the spring pin on the shoe  then the spring goes back on to hold it in place (makes the pin bigger giving enough to adjust on the snail) if that makes sense.
It's usually always adjustment with these brakes, even when it feels like the master cylinder.
i only know this after changing most of the system in the hope of fixing the problem.
Make sure the pedal is at its correct height and all brake shoes are correctly adjusted before you write off the master cylinder.
Britpart brake parts are not worth the money and hassle (shoes delaminate and cylinders leak )
hope this helps
ta willie

roverrob

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 11:50:02 PM »
got to the bottom of it springs fitted wrong on shoes by previous owner we were just putting them back the same way its allways something simple

Felix

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 04:15:50 PM »
Yes and the pic in the manual (Green and Haynes) is wrong.

F.