oil pressure switch series 3

· 5 · 1709

Dogmatix

• Name: Dave
oil pressure switch series 3
« on: August 06, 2010, 08:48:35 AM »
Hi,

Does anyone out there know what the thread size is for the oil pressure switch on a series 3?
I'd like to fit an oil pressure gauge but the thread is different on the new sender unit to what is on the existing switch.
I bought another adaptor thingy but it doesn't fit either.
It's beginning to do my head in.  >:(
Man has achieved great things armed with a large hammer and a good working knowledge in profanity..........

ZebraDriver

Re: oil pressure switch series 3
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 07:26:32 PM »
Im not sure what the thread is.  You probably need a vernier and a set of thread gauges to work it out.  I think the series 3 engines included the change from imperial to metric just to complicate things.

Ps if your fitting a gauge you need a T piece because you need to retain the light as well( you wont notice the gauge falling to 0 as you drive along the road but you will see the light.......)

ZD

Dogmatix

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 04:58:29 PM »
I knew it wasn't going to be an easy one to get the answer too. Just hoped someone may know the answer to save me the pain of trying to find out

The other adapter "thingy" previously mentioned was also a "T" piece to allow the fitting of the pressure gauge sender and the pressure switch. Thanks for mentioning that though, easily overlooked.

Thanks for the response.
Anybody else have any idea?...............before I go and throw myself under the wheels of a passing cyclist.  ::)

If I join the club can I get a discount on private psychiatric treatment?
Sorry, off topic.   :-X
Man has achieved great things armed with a large hammer and a good working knowledge in profanity..........

DRH

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 08:19:04 AM »
Also beware -depending on the t piece some switches are also tapered

Duncan

Dogmatix

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 03:04:01 PM »
Yep!
Spotted that one too.
Thank you.