Shale bings - west Lothian

· 3 · 2180

Rizla 1

Shale bings - west Lothian
« on: August 02, 2010, 08:57:35 AM »
 Hiya -  I'm looking for help with finding out about the shale bings at west Lothian !!

I have been asked to find a sand hill/cliff to be used for a Formula off road event - you know the crazy guy's from Iceland and Norway -

The 5 sisters bings have been talked about but i need more information about them and what type of material they are  ??  these guy's need a sand /loose surface and steep to make a good show for us.  looking at some pictures of the bings on google they are the right size and steep enough - can anybody who has been there lately tell me more of there condition - as if there compacted then they would be no use.

I also hear that a club up there race on some of these bings ?? anybody got a lead on that for me.

Will be glad of the help on this - and hope if it's possible to show the UK some extreme driving buy these masters of the hills  ( nutters )   :D

wullie_r

Re: Shale bings - west Lothian
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 10:58:02 PM »
The 5 sisters and all the other bings are the waste from the shale mines in the area.

They are mostly Burnt Shale (Blaze), which usually compacts really well.

As far as safety goes, shale lies in layers and can form sharp edges, possibly shred tyres???

There is also issues with the remaining oil in the shale and the storage of heat, which can start fires.  (common in the 90's)

Further to this Im sure the 5 sisters is a landmark and there is a nature reserve / SSSI in the area.  Vehicle use is prohibited on all the bings around west lothian and lanarkshire and will usually involve the police showing up.

Most of the bings are being cleared for development or to use the shale as a fill material in construction projects.

Rizla 1

Re: Shale bings - west Lothian
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 09:09:35 AM »
Thankyou for your reply - If the bings are compacted then they would not be of use to the Formula race as they need a loose sand type material and with bucket / paddle tyres at 500 pound a corner shredding tyres is not a option.

Thankyou again and if anybody knows of a sand quarry with a huge wall of sand that could be used for this event please reply here or pm me

Jeff