CB for my landy wanted

· 9 · 1903

hovis

• Life is like a mud pit you can't see what's coming
  • Name: Richard Brown
CB for my landy wanted
« on: July 28, 2010, 10:37:54 PM »
hi folks i have been looking round ebay for a CB for the landy but i dont know what to buy das any one have a CB be they dont use any more that would be good for off-roading?

05 D3 TDV6
98 disco 300TDI
90 110 200tdi
89 90 2.5 turbo

geoffg

Re: CB for my landy wanted
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 09:43:11 AM »
Thunderpole do a good starter pack, beauty being that you get a guarantee with it. I got a cheap one off ebay, and it doesn't work. Try:
http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/
Geoff :)

mac

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 11:19:17 AM »
I've always had excellent service and backup from http://www.4x4cb.com although the website appears to be down as I type  ???

hovis

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 07:50:47 PM »
thanks folks

i will give them a go.
do i need any type of cb or das it not matter?
05 D3 TDV6
98 disco 300TDI
90 110 200tdi
89 90 2.5 turbo

coolcamper55

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 08:31:16 PM »
You can get a basic CB rig for ?60 -?70 brand new. You will need to then get an antenna and that is another set of choices.

Depending on where you want to put the antenna you then need to consider a mount.

Siting the radio in some landrovers is a bit of a challenge but since not sure what yours is cant help just yet.

T

wullie_r

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 08:36:04 PM »
Maplin also sell cheap CB's.

Think they used to have a package for ?50.

Not the best quality, but would do for offroading.

jumbo

• drive through car wash landrover style
    • photo bucket
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 12:17:48 AM »
i wanted a cb mainly for grr etc but with having 2 motors didnt want the hassle of fitting a permanent one so got handheld instead. downside its battery but can also be plugged into fag lighter. being handheld could also take it out car and walk ahead, handy if theres no motor made it that far yet. depending on conditions also handy listening to weegies saving money on phone bills, boy some of the conversations you hear :o :o ...... all from the luxury of an edinburgh house haha

ps if your like me and couldnt get it working right just leave it out near tommy for 5 minutes, he'll cure it ;)
doug
2005 3door freelander td4
1986 90s/w with 200tdi

warning::: any jokes posted by myself come with a health warning!!!!!

hovis

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 04:38:35 AM »
cheers for all the feed back folks.

i can get a UHF or a VHF hand held no problem but would they be any use and what one should i get?

it would be getting mounted in my discovery when i get it back on the road blood head gasket!!!!! ??? :'(
05 D3 TDV6
98 disco 300TDI
90 110 200tdi
89 90 2.5 turbo

coolcamper55

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 08:15:15 AM »
If you are getting a UHF or VHF rig I assume that either you have a license or are getting one before you Xmit :)

If you are using a CB in the GRR's then you need to get a whip with a big spring so that you dont lose it under the trees.

Depending on where you are we could maybe meet up and perhaps get the thing sorted. If you drop me a PM I might be able to help.

Oh the other thing is interference but in a disco its less of a challenge not being aluminium and being more of a passenger vehicle.

Maplin's sell all the stuff you need but a bit pricy. suggest take a look at the stuff in Maplins then get it elsewhere.

I find KCB coms and Truck King very good and reasonably priced. One other source is Gumtree or Ad Trader there are always CB's on these sites and if its local you can see before you buy.
Watch out for rigs that have been "doctored" some folks just cant keep their fingers out of the circuit boards ;)
You also might want to try and scrounge an SWR meter from a pal, helps to sort out the problems on the install.

PS Douglas thanks for the promotional punt, as if I dont have enough to do ;) ;)
Tommy