Lochgilphead forest drive August 14th & 15th

· 20 · 5852

DC

• Name: Charlie Grady
Lochgilphead forest drive August 14th & 15th
« on: July 12, 2010, 05:10:51 PM »
Hiya folks after checking with the events section it seems like there's not a clash with the Lochgilphead forest drive so we're hoping to see a few new faces to experience one of the greatest drives going.

Details:

Lochgilphead Forest Drive August 14 /15

Our next forest drive is now planned for the dates above..As usual we need to warn anyone coming along a few bumps and sctratches are all part of our Forest Drives so shiny owners be warned. The meeting point on this outing is the entry at Birdfield Wood so please take note. The usual start time around 9.45 at the latest please, and the same meeting point and time over both days.
This drive will be a bit different this time round, On the Saturday will drive our usual excellent routes and the cost for the day is as usual ?25.00 .
Our Sunday is to be a work day, the entry fee for the Sunday is a pair of loppers, we will take you on a few routes which are in serious need of trimming back so you will still get to drive a goodly part of the forest as we will drive some of our old favourites tracks en route. We will end the day around 2 pm.
So if you want a day of some good banter a bit of worthwhile effort and a good bit of driving thrown in we will be delighted to see you come along.
RRC 1992 3.9 V8 EFI. (Paddy)

DC

Re: Lochgilphead forest drive August 14th & 15th
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 09:03:58 PM »
Thanks for moving this for me admin.

Sorry if i posted in the wrong section.

Tim

• Carbon has a footprint but it has no feet.........
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 11:12:41 PM »
See you there on the Davie - I'm staying at the Lochgair Friday and Saturday
On my drive now - Zanzibar Bronze Evoque 5 door Dynamic Lux Plus with Intelligence & Black Packs with Tan interior
Gone - Fuji White RR Evoque Coupe Dynamic Lux Plus
Staying - 1996 Epsom Green TDi 300 CHT that is now a CSW

sthrifty

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 12:13:42 PM »
I am planing coming up on Sunday but might need to jump in with someone ;)
1995 300 tdi csw 110
series 3 109 2.25p
ex mil 1986 90 s/t 2.5na
88on galv chassis needs rebuild and more
Disco m reg 2l mpi
[/

BASHER

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 04:53:33 PM »
No problem with getting a lift round ;)loads of willing drivers and remember bring the loppers  :) :)or we might just grab yer wallet  :) :) :) :)

IAN

DRH

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 08:41:30 PM »
Hi Ian

I can't make this weekeknd - when are you planning the next one.  Ironic thing is I'm in Inverary tomorrow too

Duncan

sthrifty

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 09:28:41 PM »
looks like i wont need to jump in 11o be hunky dory tomorrow,if not just bring disco
1995 300 tdi csw 110
series 3 109 2.25p
ex mil 1986 90 s/t 2.5na
88on galv chassis needs rebuild and more
Disco m reg 2l mpi
[/

BASHER

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 09:50:10 PM »
Good either way, if we get a good turnout  for the cutting back , the disco wont be a worry  :-\our new 90 has been through the routes three times now and is showing no sign of  :D abuse ..so far

Sorry to hear you cant make it Duncan but our next run will be posted on the usual place just after the upcoming weekend.

Navigator

• Discovery 4 Causeway
  • Name: Stuart Clink
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 01:44:27 PM »
our new 90 has been through the routes three times now and is showing no sign of abuse

Ian,  We'd love to go on this drive, but discounted it completely because of the comment in the first post about it being for only scratched and dented vehicles. So how bad is it really?  Your new 90 is making it fine without damage - but what about a Discovery, which is 16" wider and 40" longer?

Stuart
Navigator          GM1VBE

DC

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 01:58:09 PM »
Stuart if your disco is your pride and joy and you'd cry if if were to get scratched then the forest drives might not be suitable for that vehicle.

Some of the routes are quiet rutted and cause damage to the underside if no protect is on the trucks so it's really a question only you can answer :)

You'll defo need mud Tyres if you don't want to be getting towed round all day......... :)

HTH

Charlie ;)

Navigator

• Discovery 4 Causeway
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 04:40:30 PM »
Thanks for your input, Charlie.  More angry than cry likely! 

There is a big difference between a bit of bramble rash (expected) and gouged panels from sliding sideways into cut ends of fallen trees as they are so close (not a good idea).  AT2s and 9.5" standard ground clearance (with further 4" if the computer decides) has been OK in other places, but I'm wary of just how huge a Disco 3 is!

What I would love to hear is that there is a drive-round for the narrow bits should it just not fit. Sadly we can no longer just whip out a chainsaw and make the gap wider!  Stuart

DC

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 06:58:01 PM »
The Saturday drive is our normal drive through the great tracks that Ian & Marion, Bill & Annette have work so hard with the forestry commission to allow us to do this.
So they have to make people aware that your car may be damaged on these plantation tracks.
Not only from trees to each side of the tracks,as some of them are not close at all to trees, but the ruts are deep, the climbs are steep, the rocks are sharp and the ground will be very slippy with all this rain we've been having so there's more risk of sliding if the cars not kitted out properly for the tough terrain.

I used AT's on my first ever outing in my RRC and was pulled most of the way round due to my differential scraping along the centre section as my truck did not have enough clearance.

A DISCO 3 I believe is 2.7 ton in weight, so for a section called the plateu, there would be no chance of it getting through it without major concern.
We never leave a vehicle behind,but we also have to access the risk factor at the same time that certain trucks may pose.

There is a few tracks I would say the Disco would be fine with as they are similar to green lanes etc, but the majority of the tracks would cause scratching/denting if not driven with extreme care.

The choice would be yours Stuart, you may find a spare seat with someone on the drive if you decide to venture up to see for yourself what's involved.
Always a friendly face waiting to greet any new comers :)

Hope that helps
:)

BASHER

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 07:56:49 PM »
Hi Stuart

Just noticed Charlies post,he has just about said it all really.The tracks are superb with everything you could ask your 4x4 to attempt..Nothing is severe or dangerous in any way,but as said the tracks do need your vehicle to have fairly good clearance along with Muds to make life that bit easier..You will be most welcome to come along and see firsthand how good all these drives turn out to be time and time again. ,each day is different as we have around  30 different routes  some very easy some not so easy and some fairly difficult.You can easily come in the Disco as every drive is a progression through the forest,and every track is easily missed where you can park the wagon jump in with one of the lads and the wagon will only be  few yards back for a pick up..We have done this on may occasions and it works just fine..Turn up and you will be made most welcome by the friendliest of lads n lassies

IAN

Tim

• Carbon has a footprint but it has no feet.........
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 08:21:55 PM »
A Disco3 would be too wide for many of the tracks through the trees, a Defender can get through with an 1" or 2 on each side so no chance for a D3 - I would suggest that the best way to find out is to come up, drive the forest trails and park up at special stage and ride in with somebody else.  I will have a spare front seat in my 90 on Saturday if you want to join me, I thought Sthrifty was riding shotgun with me on Sunday but it looks like he might be coming with his own wheels now.
On my drive now - Zanzibar Bronze Evoque 5 door Dynamic Lux Plus with Intelligence & Black Packs with Tan interior
Gone - Fuji White RR Evoque Coupe Dynamic Lux Plus
Staying - 1996 Epsom Green TDi 300 CHT that is now a CSW

Navigator

• Discovery 4 Causeway
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 11:00:09 AM »
Thanks for the further info Ian and Tim.

You have convinced me to come along and drive the Discovery on the roads it will fit through, and take Tim's very kind offer of a seat in his 90 for the narrower bits. I'll bring my measuring stick to see just how tight it might be for the future!

Birdfield about 9:15 it is then - unless anyone is driving across from Glasgow and would like to meet up on the way at an appointed breakfast provider?

Again, thanks to all of you for information and persuading me to come along.