p38 engine replacement

· 8 · 2427

roverrob

p38 engine replacement
« on: June 21, 2010, 10:46:26 PM »
hi guys new to this sight can anyone help with advice on an engine replacement where is the best place to go to get the job done Im in aberdeenshire I have a well equiped garage for my own use but am not brave enough to do it myself just incase anybody fancied helping me.The rangie is overheating and I have oil in the water is the reason I think I need a new engine any thoughts on the best road to take for this I intend to keep the motor for quite a while.Dose any body have a good test for finding if my problem is headgaskit or block thanks ROB

DRH

Re: p38 engine replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 10:58:04 PM »
Hi Robert

Welcome to the Forum

Depends where in Aberdeenshire where you are.  There is a 4x4 garge in Dunecht, who seem to do a lot of Land and Range Rovers  I think it's called Dunecht 4x4

It might also be useful to post on the Buchan Off Road Driving Club site as well - there seems to be a lot of knowledge there

Duncan

georgew

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 12:36:41 AM »
Hello & welcome to the forum.
I take it your having the head done, skimmed & a rebuild of your own engine & not buying a new one.
you will find some stuff in here in 'V8 wizard' & FAQ's
www.v8engines.com
They may even have a sound second hand engine that left from them doing a transplant/conversion.

You could speak to Jim King @ Lethenty Mill,
 This is a garage which is between Daviot & Inverurie.
www.jimkingautotune.co.uk/contact.html

He is a member of the 'Buchan Off Road Drivers Club'
As already said its Worth looking on their website,
 & possibly posting as there are some other garages in the area used by club members.

Or Mann Automotive in Laurencekirk.
a bit far possibly depending where you are but they know their stuff.

Dunecht Garage doesnt do there own big work but can possibly point you in the correct direction
of who they use.
One place in Forfar, but he will not touch a P38.
all the best.
george
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 12:44:21 AM by georgew »
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

roverrob

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 01:01:34 AM »
thanks for the replys guys i will try lethenty why has nobody mentioned kirkstyle in kemnay the place is full of rangies but cant find any info on them I do know they charge 45 pounds per hour 

georgew

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 01:11:22 AM »
I would expect ?45 an hour for a good experienced mechanic that can do the job in good time.
Dont want to pay that for the apprentice to be put on the job & take 3 times as long for his experience of his first big job.
Your going to need the liners checked & the head properly gone over for cracks.
I would be going to someone with know experience of P38's and their problems & repairing.

Just google them,
if there is ever anything bad you will usually find a comment on a forum someplace.
www.kirkstyle.freewolf.co.uk
Must be worth talking to them aswell.

I used to know the guys that had a garage there many years ago,
 i doubt its the same people, they wernt into LR's & its new to me that theres a place there now.
thanks tho for the heads up.
george
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 01:18:13 AM by georgew »
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

DRH

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 10:01:21 AM »
Kirkstyle's been there for a long time (but it might have been called something else.

Don't know what their works like.  Looks as though it's had quite a recent upgrade  I passed them on Saturday and they were loaded with all sorts of Range Rovers

Duncan

rangerovering

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 05:42:37 PM »
PM sent :)
Steve

roverrob

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 10:08:08 PM »
thanks "rangerovering" for the pm I have sent a message to the guy you recomended in the hope he will get in touch it would be a perfect option for me I cant see a phone number any where for him so will have to wait for a reply, may I take this oppertunity to say what a GREAT site this is and thank everybody for their excelent help