Poll

Was this helpful

Yes, I knew some of it already but this expanded my knowledge
1 (33.3%)
Yes, I knew nothing before i read this.
1 (33.3%)
No, I didnt bother reading it as it was too long.
1 (33.3%)
No, its all gobildigook
0 (0%)
No, I knew this already
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Photos, How to display them

· 4 · 2077

CairnsAndrew

Photos, How to display them
« on: June 17, 2010, 11:11:54 AM »
Hi I was reading about the GRR at aberfoyle(and being very jealous I couldnt go)

I noticed a lot of you asking how to put up photos and wanting to send them onto Sandy. Well heres a wee how to on how to put them up for yourself AND how to display them on the forum WITHOUT having the admins shout at you for using up loads of bandwidth.

im going to presume you know how to
  • take a photograph
  • get the photograph onto your pc and then find it.

Ok, first you need to sign up to either
www.photobucket.com or
http://imageshack.us/

you can do it for free on imageshack, however, if you are going to be posting a few, its better to sign up. Signing up has the benifit of being able to create albums.

Image shack quick upload how to
Step 1
Start on the Imageshack loading page. In the center of the page you will see a box that allows you to upload your images (pictures and videos) in a few simple steps.

Step 2
Choose the type of image that you are uploading. Imageshack gives you three choices: image, url or video.

Step 3
Browse through your files to find the image that you want Imageshack to host. The site permits the following types of images on their site: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, bmp, tif, tiff and swf. There are also size limitations on files.

Step 4
Click off any of the applicable setting changes. You can resize the image to fit your need for the image. The site can resize the image to fit emails, avatars, message boards and computer monitors.

Step 5
Continue by clicking on the "Host It" link. An uploading bar will appear and you'll have to wait for the site to upload the image.

Step 6
Record the URL given by the site. This URL can be used to put the image onto websites, emails, forums or other locations on the web.
[/font]

To display an image on the forum'

ok, when you are viewing your images on imageshack you will see a few urls(web address) underneath them.

if it follows the format [ img ] www .imageshack .us/yourimagehere [ /img ] (without the spaces) then just post it on the forum and voila.

if it doesnt have the [ img ] tags on either end, there is a wee button just above the smilies of a picture frame(2nd one in.)

How this works

Basically, there are 2 ways for forums to display pictures.

BAD WAY
the Host where the forum is stores the photo, and every time someone wishes to view the photo, the host sends it.
If the Host charges for 'bandwidth' (how much you send/recieve) then this can increase the cost for maintaining the forum.

OTHER WAY(My Way)
The host only stores the string [ img ] www .imageshack .us/yourimagehere [ /img ] and only sends this. Your pc then goes and looks where the web adress is and fills in the image.

hope this makes sense.

Andy

1972 Series 3, Currently under restoration
1994 3dr Disco 200tdi

geoffg

Re: Photos, How to display them
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 12:03:24 PM »
You could,also, send them to Sandy by email as attachments or even on CD, so he can size them and remove any that compromise our Green Roads.
Geoff :)

Sandy

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 05:49:27 PM »
Andy.

This is all fine and I've no wish to stop people having fun BUT we have had a few instances where photographs were published that might have been better not to! The reasons are not always apparent to anyone other than the organisers of the event.

I also suggest that by sending shots to me the Club builds up a library which will be of interest in years to come. Currently I hold over 150 sets of photographs taken at all sorts of events and whilst they are not all hosted at one time they can very quickly be added to what we have on our present website.

Hope this makes sense.

Kind regards,

Sandy.

CairnsAndrew

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 06:15:18 PM »
that it does sandy,

being someone who, due to the wife, will only be able to do grr's and marshalling (the joys of using te 'family vehicle) I certainly do not want these to be stopped.
1972 Series 3, Currently under restoration
1994 3dr Disco 200tdi