how do i wire up oil pressure gauge and volt meter into series 3

· 5 · 2470

terrykemp

• 1975 land rover series 3 200di
i have just fitted range rover gauges into my  series 3 dash now how do i wire them up ? any help will be good  ;)

cheers terry

terrykemp

Re: how do i wire up oil pressure gauge and volt meter into series 3
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 12:42:31 AM »
come on someone on here must of done it before  :)

MudBucket

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 09:46:24 AM »
Not done it, but can give some pointers,

Volt Meter:-
+ve, you can wire this up to the ignition switch (the wire that becomes live +12V when at position II ,normal running position, don't wire it to the +ve terminal from the battery as the gauge will be on all the time), you will probably find a spare terminal (spade) on the switch for this type of thing.
-ve, you can wire this up to any ground point (usually black wires attached to metal parts)

Oil pressure gauge:-
this really depends on the sender, does your engine have a pressure sender? or just a temperature switch? etc
for the gauge to work the sender needs to have variable resistance with pressure.
the -ve terminal will go to any ground in the instrument panel
the +ve terminal will go to the sender.

does this help at all?

terrykemp

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 09:40:21 PM »
right i think i got the volt meter sorted but could i fit the oil gauge to the wire that goes from the oil switch on the engine to the green light on the dash ?

ZebraDriver

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 09:56:42 PM »
No, you can't wire the pressure gauge to the oil light wiring. You need a sender unit matched to the gauge.  The sender will have to be fitted into the oil pressure system (normaly achieved by using a "T" piece in the hole where the oil pressure switch is located) You need a "T" piece because you still want to have an oil light as well.  The sender will then be wired to one side of the gauge and the other will be wired into a + feed from the rest of the instruments (from the instrument side of the voltage regulator)

ZD