300tdi disco bleed screw

· 3 · 2473

CairnsAndrew

300tdi disco bleed screw
« on: May 29, 2010, 06:16:37 PM »
hi,

im looking at buying 300tdi disco. its going fairly cheap as the 'BLEED SCREW HAS STRIPED LETTING AIR INTO DIESEL'

now im guessing this is the one on top of the fuel filter?(bit of research via google). Obviously diesel and air dont get along if they meet before the cylinders  ::)
My question is, what is the possibility that this has done damage to the injector pump/injectors.

if its a case of getting it for the price hes asking and replacing the filter 'cap' 'thingy' then its a bargain, if it needs new injecter parts, then for me its a no go.

also, for getting it home(if its just the filter needing done) im thinking about patching it by applying some 'metal putty' type stuff over the bleed screw(if its what im thinking it is) to stop the ingress of air.

andy
1972 Series 3, Currently under restoration
1994 3dr Disco 200tdi

terrykemp

• 1975 land rover series 3 200di
Re: 300tdi disco bleed screw
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 01:45:05 AM »
hi this happened to me a few months back when i had a diesel pipe letting in air so of course i didint no where the air was coming from so i opening and shuting the banjo bolt at the top of the filter and with a little to much of the spanner the bolt snaped in to, so i borrowed one of them tools cant remember the name of it but you have to drill a hole through the centre of the bolt then it screws into the centre of the bolt it tightens up anti clockwise so that when the tool is tight on the bolt the should screw out .

after i replaced the bolt and fixed the leaking pipe the landy ran as it was new  :D

if that is any help ::)

geoffg

Re: 300tdi disco bleed screw
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 08:14:39 AM »
Was it an easyout, Terry??
geoff :)