Professional Wax-oiler?

· 17 · 6447

wullie_r

Professional Wax-oiler?
« on: May 27, 2010, 04:41:32 PM »
Is there anyone in the Edinburgh/Glasgow area that offers a decent service for this? ( Garenteed with a good reputation)

Ive seen the one in the LR mags buts its way down south.

Also opinions on if it worth getting this done or do I just hire a steam cleaner and do it myself?

rangerovering

Re: Professional Wax-oiler?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 04:46:11 PM »
Can do it yourself if you really want to ;)

I know of the one down south, there is a place at Morpeth called "Waxworks" I think. Not too disimilar a job but sure to be miles better than a garage job and less hassle than doing it yourself!
Steve

mac

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 06:36:40 PM »
I've heard some mixed reports about Waxworks, most of them not favourable. . .  He's expensive and the work I've seen wasn't that impressive.  I know it's a long way and you will probably find something on your side of the Border but  I would recommend (from experience) Maddison 4x4 at Thirsk.  It's a filthy job so I would rather pay someone else to coat their workshop instead of me coating mine!

rangerovering

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 08:21:46 PM »
I've heard some mixed reports about Waxworks, most of them not favourable. . .  He's expensive and the work I've seen wasn't that impressive.  I know it's a long way and you will probably find something on your side of the Border but  I would recommend (from experience) Maddison 4x4 at Thirsk.  It's a filthy job so I would rather pay someone else to coat their workshop instead of me coating mine!

Interesting to hear some feedback. I have not used them but was half thinking about it. Might make the effort to go to B&A, at east you get a warranty against rust coming through!
Steve

cedric_r

• Yorkie
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 08:17:36 AM »
Interesting comment about the quality of Waxworks. Chris and I were looking to get our chassis treated (because it's time) and we were considering them. We both emailed them independently (before knowing the other was considering them) to ask them for details and neither of us got any reply.
B&A is probably better, but expensive and it's a long way to go from Scotland (especially Aberdeen and Perth).
Cedric

mac

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 09:03:48 AM »
If you do a bit of searching on the LR forums you'll find some very (litigious) interesting comments about B&A as well. . .  I think it must be the fumes from the Waxoyl  ::)  Again, I know a couple of people who have used B&A with varying results.

Maddisons did my old 110 Tomb Raider, they had it for a day and a half and made an excellent job of it.  He cleaned it thoroughly, let it dry, waxoyld it and let it go off.  Didn't charge me a fortune either.

janderson41

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 07:45:22 PM »
Strathearn  at Auchterarder can do a professional job,also nearer to the club, Lee Bartlet at Bartec Engineering will also do the work.

cheers
jim Anderson
1996 300Tdi auto(Jap reimport)
Jim A
2002 Disco 2 Td5 auto
1996 Disco 1 300Tdi auto (gone)

rangerovering

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 08:51:57 AM »
Strathearn  at Auchterarder can do a professional job,also nearer to the club, Lee Bartlet at Bartec Engineering will also do the work.

cheers
jim Anderson
1996 300Tdi auto(Jap reimport)

They did mine a few years ago, personally I wasn't overly impressed. It was flaking off within 6 months. Not to say they havn't changed now though...
Steve

dave

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 10:00:05 AM »
I would like to take this oppertunity to respond to "rangerovering"'s waxoyl comments re Strathearn Engineering.
Our waxoyl process is this.
1) THOROUGHLY STEAM CLEAN CHASSIS/UNDERSIDE
2) LEAVE OVERNIGHT TO DRY/DRAIN OF WATER
3) ATTACK UNDERSIDE WITH WIRE BRUSH/CUP BRUSH IN 4" GRINDER TO DESCALE AND SCRAPE LOOSE RUST OFF WITH SCRAPER.
4) BLOW DOWN WITH AIRLINE TO MAKE CLEAN AND DRY.
5) APPLY WAXOYL INSIDE AND OUT. PLEASE NOTE THIS IS NOT ADVISABLE IN THESE WARM SUMMER MONTHS AS WE FIND THE WAXOYL NEVER "SETS" PROPERLY AND STAYS TACKY ALLOWING MUD TO STICK TO IT. WE TEND TO DO MOST OF OUR WAXOYLING AT THE TAIL END OF THE YEAR, JUST BEFORE THE SALT ARRIVES!!
This process costs ?250 plus vat to do. I am sure you can appreciate the time involved to make a decent job. It is a bit like painting where the prep work is the most important part for a decent result.
   Rangerovering, I am sorry you were not happy with your waxoyl job. Give me a bell on 01764 663020 and we can discuss further.

Dave

rangerovering

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 12:07:13 AM »
I would like to take this oppertunity to respond to "rangerovering"'s waxoyl comments re Strathearn Engineering.
Our waxoyl process is this.
1) THOROUGHLY STEAM CLEAN CHASSIS/UNDERSIDE
2) LEAVE OVERNIGHT TO DRY/DRAIN OF WATER
3) ATTACK UNDERSIDE WITH WIRE BRUSH/CUP BRUSH IN 4" GRINDER TO DESCALE AND SCRAPE LOOSE RUST OFF WITH SCRAPER.
4) BLOW DOWN WITH AIRLINE TO MAKE CLEAN AND DRY.
5) APPLY WAXOYL INSIDE AND OUT. PLEASE NOTE THIS IS NOT ADVISABLE IN THESE WARM SUMMER MONTHS AS WE FIND THE WAXOYL NEVER "SETS" PROPERLY AND STAYS TACKY ALLOWING MUD TO STICK TO IT. WE TEND TO DO MOST OF OUR WAXOYLING AT THE TAIL END OF THE YEAR, JUST BEFORE THE SALT ARRIVES!!
This process costs ?250 plus vat to do. I am sure you can appreciate the time involved to make a decent job. It is a bit like painting where the prep work is the most important part for a decent result.
   Rangerovering, I am sorry you were not happy with your waxoyl job. Give me a bell on 01764 663020 and we can discuss further.

Dave

Thanks for replying Dave. From the details above it seems to have become much more comprehensive than previous years, it was at least 3 or 4 years ago and cost me ?100 I believe.

I will give you a bell at the end of the year to get it looked at! Previous comment irrelevent!
Steve

Gary

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 01:00:05 AM »
Is there anyone in the Edinburgh/Glasgow area that offers a decent service for this? ( Garenteed with a good reputation)

Ive seen the one in the LR mags buts its way down south.

Also opinions on if it worth getting this done or do I just hire a steam cleaner and do it myself?

You might also want to call Gemm 4x4 in Larbert
http://www.gemm4x4.co.uk/
or
Barttec in Airdrie
http://www.barttecengineering.co.uk/

I spoke to a guy on the landrovernet.com forum and he was very pleased with the job that Barttec did and the price.

I have read similar things as above regarding B&A (but not Waxworks).

Please let us know how you get on because I'm thinking of having mine done.
Cheers
Gary
MM6GRG
TD5 Discovery

wullie_r

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 11:44:07 AM »
Thanks for the replys guys.

Gary

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 09:36:30 PM »
Wullie, did you ever get this done? If so, who did it, how much and would you recommend them?
Cheers
Gary
MM6GRG
TD5 Discovery

tgreer

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 09:41:12 PM »
I just done it myself...5L tin and a paint brush... job's a good un...
1975 Series 3 Land Rover - ex-MOD 109" Hard Top
3.0L V6 Ford Essex

Buffalo Bill

• Name: Bill Conner
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 09:55:50 PM »
did you do inside the chassis??
1989 110
1990 90
1988 90
1972 V8 WOOP WOOP