Beginner needs help.

· 7 · 2895

RJP0901

Beginner needs help.
« on: May 26, 2010, 06:06:21 PM »
Hi All. I have "maybe against better judgement" just bought a K reg Discovery 3.5 V8 to keep me busy at the weekend. Looks ok and came with 11 months test. However I am sure it needs quite a lot of TLC to make it safe and secure.
I'm not sure where to begin though and wondered if anyone on here with a bit of knowhow could have a quick look over it and point out the main things that need attended to so I know where to start.
I'm in Fife and happy to bring it to or meet someone within reasonable distance.

jumbo

• drive through car wash landrover style
    • photo bucket
Re: Beginner needs help.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 06:22:04 PM »
welcome ;D ;D aye discos could certainly keep you busy. i used to have a 'p' plate which was passed with a mention of a small whole in the floor, not urgent but get it seen too. then 12 months later the rear wheel arches had fallen through and the sills had crumpled. if its a good one get it soaked in waxoil asap would be my advice
doug
2005 3door freelander td4
1986 90s/w with 200tdi

warning::: any jokes posted by myself come with a health warning!!!!!

RJP0901

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 06:39:07 PM »
Thanks for the welcome Doug.
The waxoil is on the cards but I want make sure everything is attended to before I do so. There are a few rusty bits that will need a look at first but nothing structural, "I hope".
The mechanical side of things, suspension, steering and gearing etc are my main concern as they will probably be the costly bits to get right. Going to get started this weekend so will uncover the horrors then....

james

• www.discoveryownersclub.org
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 07:13:02 PM »
hi richard

i have just rebuilt a disco including a lot of welding to crossmembers sills and wings
wat is it you want to no exacly

some good places to check for rust and safty

inner wings
sills
bodymounts
rearbody cross member
seatbelt mounts
boot floor and rear wheel arches

theres a few to start if i can help pm me your number and ill see how i can help
im in dumbarton by the way

welcome to the club

james
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 07:15:36 PM by james »
slightly modified 200 tdi

freelandy1

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 07:45:17 PM »
Welcome to the club, don't know much about discos except they tend to die of rust. Plenty of folk at the club that will give advise and help if they can.

Maybe best to attend the next event and let some of the experts have a look at your concerns?

Welcome to house of landrovers and poor jokes

James
James
TD4 freelander 1
working on a 90

Sooty

• been there winched that
  • Name: mike robertson
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 10:09:35 PM »
Hi All. I have "maybe against better judgement" just bought a K reg Discovery 3.5 V8 to keep me busy at the weekend. Looks ok and came with 11 months test. However I am sure it needs quite a lot of TLC to make it safe and secure.
I'm not sure where to begin though and wondered if anyone on here with a bit of knowhow could have a quick look over it and point out the main things that need attended to so I know where to start.
I'm in Fife and happy to bring it to or meet someone within reasonable distance.

i would give stagerecovery a pm as im sure he will be able to give it a once over,
Started out with nothing,
Still have most of it left

rangerovering

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 10:44:57 PM »
Hi mate welcome onboard!

I would be more than happy to go round it with you, got a RRC myself which is basically the same vehicle! The V8's are also a bit of learning in themselves, not difficult but there is a right way and a wrong way to run them!! Got time tomorrow if you want to come over, I'm near Kinross.

cheers
Steve