p38 broken manifold repair

· 6 · 6426

plenty ponies

p38 broken manifold repair
« on: May 19, 2010, 02:12:14 PM »
Hi folks,
here is a how to repair a broken manifold on your range rover p38 v8.

Exhaust Manifold ,,,has broke completely of near the flange,,,look at the bottom of the manifold and you will see the seperation at the exhaust flange.

1. remove heat shield,2 parts,inner and outer

2.heat shield removed,now you can see it a little better

3.the broken manifold,clean and inspect what needs to be done.

4.the tricky part may require a few tries,as the exhaust bolts need to align with the bottom end of the manifold it's crutual that you make sure it is alighned before you start to weld it,tip,loosely hold the manifold in place with the flange lighning up the bolts and check it's flush on the head end and the exhaust end,i used a marker and the a little gun gum to hold it in a temporary position so you can tack it on

5 removed for a closer look and here you see the temp gun gum and the tack,once your'e happy it will align up,grind of the gun gum and run a sold weld right round the area to be welded,once done,check it on the car again,still happy,then grind off the excess flux and weld again as needed until you have a propper weld right around,grind the welded area smooth and apply a little gun gum to make it smoother,make sure you havent damaged the inside of the pipe while youv'e done all this,it could warp or shift and the it wont fit.

6. now it looks ready to fit,if you want you can apply a little heat resistant colour piant,put i was worried the rain would come so i just fitted it.

7.once yore happy again check it on the car a final time loosely making sure exhaust bolts ling up and the manifold is flush,if it,s not you will need ot start all over again,lets hope you get it right the 1st time round.like me,i had mad a nice small weld to tack it,then i basted it with lots of weld to make sure it doesnt shift before grinding the gun gum off and replaceing it with weld,so it doesnt look neat yet.

8. now for fitting it back on the car,hope fully you will have cleand up the threads on all bolts and checked they are not damaged,finger tight only,the head port outlets area to be cleaned up and also on the exhaust flange area ready for fitting,apply adiqute sealant on both ends to be fitted and place the repaired manifold into position,loosely put manifold bolts on and the loosely put flange bolts on,dont take to long to do this and make sure the gaskets dont fall ot while doning the head,there are 4 gaskets on the head end and only one on the flage end.

9. now here is a pic of the unit fitted finger tight,,be sure to tighten up in a cris xross style on the manifold,ones this is done let the car warm a little check for leaks,and then in the same pattern use a torgue wrench to tighten up all the bols,the manifold and the flange are at different torhue settings.

take the car a gentle drive to check all is well and the double check your torgue setting are still the same,if you are sucsessful you wont have any leaks,
last i hope you have check for all tools are put away and you should never have spares.note the heat shield might not go back on if you like me had a problem with the tiny bolts that hold it on,if you cant get it back on becuase it fell appart when removing it,dont worry to much,you can go and buy a new one or insulate it with exhaust bandage if you like.

i hope these tips have hepled you getting it repaired the fist time around.pics are from my nokia 95 and are not the best,but they help,no pics of how to put sealer on as any tom dick or harry knows ho to do that, around the holes,lol.
1995 "itsashitty" shogun 2.8 td lwb
1985 porsche 944 sorn
1998 bmw e38 740i sport 4.4
1990 300zx j spec sorn

rangerovering

Re: p38 broken manifold repair
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 02:17:42 PM »
Nice one! Tidy looking '38 as well 8)
Steve

plenty ponies

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 02:23:44 PM »
thank you,
i seem to miss pic 6,i cant edit it so here is pic 6,,

1985 porsche 944 sorn
1990 300zx j spec sorn

sthrifty

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 09:14:31 PM »
Intresting stuff you should have sent that to our editor would have made a good article for the news letter.
1995 300 tdi csw 110
series 3 109 2.25p
ex mil 1986 90 s/t 2.5na
88on galv chassis needs rebuild and more
Disco m reg 2l mpi
[/

plenty ponies

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 09:45:14 PM »
hi,
thanks for the comment,yes i guess it could have filled a space if there was one,but i never thought of it,maybe nextime,where can i find the newsletter?
my next job is,,,i;m going to get rid of the normal exhaust,i will make my own,from the manifolds to the middle of the car,no cats,,a complete seperate system,only to be linked with a ballace bar shortly before the rear silencers to give enough back pressure,it will make my v8 sound like a true v8 even if its a punie 192bhp,(less cause it,s old)fitted with and induction that works with the lpg and my new exhaust i hope to gain 20bhp,becuase its old,lol otherwise 25+.
thanks.
1985 porsche 944 sorn
1990 300zx j spec sorn

rangerovering

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 03:04:52 AM »
If you really want to be gaining power, Hedman Headers from Real Steel are worth every penny. Match the ports on the exhaust and the head for a smooth gas flow and you will find more power ;)
Steve