non club weekend tour caravan camping

· 486 · 96736

sj72blair

• Name: Steven Blair
Re: non club weekend tour caravan camping
« Reply #480 on: May 29, 2010, 09:22:40 PM »
Sorry to butt in but have been following your adventures, I agree that the north west highlands are stunning. We normally camp at The Sands at Gairloch and work our way up as the holiday progresses, the site in Scourie is excellent although "Auld Angus" is definitely old school with the site being all the better for his attention to detail and high standards. Watched him giving two French kids a talking too for riding push bikes dangerously, they couldn't understand a word but that didn't stop him, priceless to watch though. Always worth a hot chocolate at Cocoa Mountain in Durness (ideal for the chocoholics!) and you've never lived until you've done the ferry trip!(6 people's a squeeze) and the coach trip to the lighthouse at Cape Wrath. Davie the bus driver is superb, loved his witty comentary with coments like " the reason they chequer paint the buildings on the firing range is to stop the American pilots shooting them with friendly fire" a bit topical but the American tourists took it well, he didn't miss the Germans either!
  It's a long journey and expensive with current fuel prices but start saving now as it'll be worth every penny hence this is why we're going back up this year again.

cheers,
             Stevie.   

jumbo

• drive through car wash landrover style
    • photo bucket
« Reply #481 on: May 29, 2010, 09:35:42 PM »
Forgot to say when I got home I checked Mist for ticks and he had 7 so Check as if they are missed and fall off they they will find another  doner.

Remember if you remove them just clean the small wound with soapy water
think they liked me as well :( :( got a couple of bites myself :( :( makes a change from midge
doug
2005 3door freelander td4
1986 90s/w with 200tdi

warning::: any jokes posted by myself come with a health warning!!!!!

sthrifty

« Reply #482 on: May 29, 2010, 10:39:03 PM »
Doug if you had been bitten by a tick it would still have its knashers in you until it was bloated with blood. Best double check ::).

Stevie I agree that Angus is strict but fair but you dont get any bother.I have only taken the ferry across the kyle once to fish the estuary from the other side,its a majic trip.The limestone lochs around Durness have the best brown trout in Scotland olso  the hardest to catch :(.

That said I am keeping next years proposed plan secret until I have sorted out a off road run and a site where we can enjoy a rough camp!
1995 300 tdi csw 110
series 3 109 2.25p
ex mil 1986 90 s/t 2.5na
88on galv chassis needs rebuild and more
Disco m reg 2l mpi
[/

Truckster

• Really must fit A/T's..........
« Reply #483 on: May 30, 2010, 10:09:31 AM »
Stevie, Enjoy Durness if youre going that far north again. Balnakiel (17e) was my childhood home and Balnakiel Bay (with the 'haunted house' :) ) is the best beach in Scotland as far as im concerned. :)
They hadnt dug out Smoo cave when we lived up there (thats how long ago!!)

The top North west coast should be made a 'Scotlands National treasure'.........not that im biased or anything!! :) :)
Mel ( & canine navigators )
109 Station Wagon-'The Goddess'- Sick Chassis...gutted!!
109 Station Wagon-'Firefly'-in need of tlc!!!
109 Ex-mil Rolling Chassis
Mk5 Blue Oval ( Goddess in training!!)

sj72blair

• Name: Steven Blair
« Reply #484 on: May 30, 2010, 06:12:20 PM »
Hi Mel,
         your a lucky lady spending your childhood in such a lovely place, sometimes looks even more stunning in bad weather! Will be heading back up the first week in July for a few weeks, usual plan of working my way up and round at a leisurely pace. There's something in the atmosphere that relaxes you, you would make a mint if you could bottle it and sell it. We'll see how far the pennies stretch, might head back over to Orkney for a few days, bigger Land Rover means bigger fayres( breaking 20ft long with bike rack attached and just over 8ft high). Spending the next few weeks getting the big green one ready for the off with Carol cracking the whip (metaphorically speaking!) to get more of the camper conversion done before we leave, will try to post some pics when we get back if I manage to figure out how.

cheers,
           Stevie.

sthrifty

« Reply #485 on: May 30, 2010, 08:05:29 PM »
No reason to go abroad when we have the North west and East of Scotland.

Sorted van today,now have hot water, flushing toilet,heater,lights and fridge.So all set for Applebay this w/e
1995 300 tdi csw 110
series 3 109 2.25p
ex mil 1986 90 s/t 2.5na
88on galv chassis needs rebuild and more
Disco m reg 2l mpi
[/