HF Radio sets

· 4 · 3011

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
HF Radio sets
« on: May 27, 2010, 10:26:20 PM »
One for the radio hams...

I keep seeing the MOD Surplus people selling off PRC 320 man-pack HF radios. How would one of these fit in to civilian "ham" use ?
The prices appear to be peanuts - and the radios are top notch.

The spec is on this ad.

G

http://www.mod-sales.com/auction/vehicle/related/29820/_10_CLANSMAN_RT320-_DIRECT_GOVERNMENT_SALE.htm
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Sandy

Re: HF Radio sets
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 01:40:00 PM »
Gene,

Yes, nice kit but I do not believe these may be licensed by Radio Hams!

Kind regards,

Sandy.

piper5

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 04:05:01 PM »
there are a few issues with these that would need modded they don't cover all the modes especially lsb , they are only 30 watt most ham stuff is 100watt, also you need either a full or intermediate liscense not foundadtion call to operate a radio that was not factory made for ham use,
pmr radios converted to 2meters are a favorite for causing trouble due to wrong deviations etc

note these military radio run on  24vdc which can give you a headache as well

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 05:27:43 PM »
Cheers for that. I've used them "at work" and was told they were worth ?5k each if we lost them ! I know we once managed a 3 way conversation bewteen Glasgow, Cyprus and Belize, which was fun. Mostly we used them to get World Service when overseas.

....the real hoot was when I was told I had to keep one in my LR "for emergencies" while deployed with the yanks for 6 months. No way to recharge the battery, no access to the current frequencies or any chance of replen on the current encryption......but the book said we had to have a radio. I backloaded it as a waste of time ! 

The same site is also flogging off a load of VHF radios - its the Army getting rid of the "Clansman" series of radios as "Bowman" is introduced..... I remember Clanman coming in, so I must be getting old !   
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....