General Category > TECHNICAL CHAT

Series 3 no drive query

(1/2) > >>

Johnnyg131313:
I've a Series 3 and have no drive in either 2WD or 4WD. I initially thought it was the clutch friction plate soaked with fuel as the fuel pipe had burst on the number 4 injector with diesel pouring down over the bell housing, but on engaging a gear and lifting the clutch, the prop shaft is turning.

Would a broken half shaft stop all drive in both 2WD and 4WD?

I'd assumed if 4WD was engaged, there would be some drive.

Alan Mc:
Sounds odd.  If propshaft turning (assuming to rear), points to either a bust diff or half shaft.  That said, if you pop into 4WD, you should get motion (so long as there’s not a corresponding problem at front - sounds like too much of a coincidence).  Do you know it defo worked in 4WD ahead of these issues?

First step, I’d lift the back end and see what spins freely?

Good luck, Alan. 

Johnnyg131313:
Thanks Alan. Yes, 4WD worked before.

nathanglasgow:
If you have free wheel hubs fitted on the front they need to be engaged to get drive to the front axle if a rear halfshaft has broken

neils:
Are both props turning and you are going nowhere?
If this is the case would agree with Nathan that if you have freewheeling hubs on front they should be engaged and should move using front wheel drive at the very least. If no freewheel hubs and both props turning then you have something broken in both front and rear axles - odd co-incidence right enough.
If prop is turning but going nowhere that points to axle problem.
If rear prop turning but front is not you are not in 4wd.
Be very careful when you are about the vehicle trying to work out what is wrong with engine running, something might click into place and vehicle could move.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version