Extending battery cable

· 6 · 1743

Haggisrider

• Name: Tom McIlree
Extending battery cable
« on: March 22, 2021, 11:18:36 PM »
Does anyone know where I can get the cable to extend the positive lead from the winch  to the battery

discoverypete

• Name: Peter Williamson
Re: Extending battery cable
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 03:54:15 PM »
Ouch!
Winch Wiring Kit Extension (2 cables and switch) - LL1469BP - Britpart
In stock
£50.00 ex VAT
£60.00inc UK VAT
For two cables that's a bit rich and a coil of 25mm will cost you about £150. Plus the connectors.
Perhaps you could get something off a scrap lorry or bus, their batteries are usually a distance away from the engine.
Or you could try this: 35mm flexible welding cable from TLC electrical supplies. £5.65 per M.
                        Pete.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 05:06:37 PM by discoverypete »

Navigator

• Discovery 4 Causeway
  • Name: Stuart Clink
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 09:19:21 AM »
Not just cable, but end fittings of suitable size.   After decades of salvaging odd lengths in the hope of having a long enough piece with the correct ends when I needed some, I bought a hydraulic press for fitting the terminals and now buy the correct length of cable from the Internet as required.  But old habits die hard and when I need a particular connector I'll get a few spare.
Navigator          GM1VBE

Haggisrider

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 09:45:30 PM »
Thanks for the tips cable ordered from the web connectors from local electrical distributors

Yogi

• Name: Ewart Hogarth
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 03:53:22 PM »
Just a wee bit of advice if it helps, when wiring up a winch it is highly recomended to add an isolator on the live side to the contactor / solenoid pack (puit it on the side of the battery box and it can be operated from the drivers seat, means the winch can be isolated on not triggered accidentally) and also use the same size of wire for the earth and run that from the winch back to the battery as well.

Winches use lots of power (current) and benefit from unjointed lengths of good quality flexable wire depending on the draw of the motor.

I would also recomend running control wires back to the cab so you can operate the winch from the drivers seat without having to worry about wander leads getting in the way. Small wireless remotes are also easily available and work well too   ;)

Hope this helps & good luck

Haggisrider

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 10:44:35 PM »
Winch now fitted and working with the isolator switch
Thanks for all the help and advice
Tom