4 speed gearbox Lt95

· 6 · 1924

Farx4

4 speed gearbox Lt95
« on: January 28, 2021, 01:47:00 PM »
Does anyone use the 4 speed gearbox ( LT 95)? Just wondering if both the ones I  have tried have the same fault or if this gearbox is notorious for not liking changing down into 2nd gear?

Thanks

discoverypete

• Name: Peter Williamson
Re: 4 speed gearbox Lt95
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 01:29:05 PM »
If you have replaced the gearbox have you adjusted the clutch correctly?
There is a plastic clip on the fork that can break, but if you have had the box out you would have  noticed that.
I don't want to teach grannie to suck eggs but have you used 20/50 oil?

A recon kit is expensive so here's hoping its something simple.

Pete.

Farx4

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 05:44:59 PM »
Not replaced the gearbox or touched the one that is in my 88" just curious that another vehicle that I drove  with the same box in didn't like changing down into second either. I do have a spare gearbox sitting here so might have a look over it. Thanksfor the help :)

MEJ999

• Name: Michael Jackson
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 04:55:14 PM »
Hi I have an LT95 in my Trial Car and no problem changing down to second gear.

Michael

Does anyone use the 4 speed gearbox ( LT 95)? Just wondering if both the ones I  have tried have the same fault or if this gearbox is notorious for not liking changing down into 2nd gear?

Thanks

Farx4

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 12:18:52 PM »
Hmm, must be wear and tear on mine and the other one I tried. I have a spare gearbox that I should maybe get someone who knows about gearboxes to have a checkover for me. Thanks

Rambler

• Name: Ron Murdoch
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 01:54:12 PM »
I've got that gearbox in my 101. When it warms up, the syncro on 2nd is a bit ineffective sometimes, so back to the old technique of a heeling and toeing double-declutch   manoeuvre whilst braking. I learnt how to do that with my first ever 4-wheeled vehicle, a 1956 Standard 10 van which wasn't fitted with syncro on first and had  worn off on 2nd. I use the same technique as a matter of course on my series II having owned Land Rovers most of the time since the early 70's. I've also driven plenty of lorries and buses with fully crash boxes in my driving career. Oh, and it's best learnt and practiced on someone else's vehicle until the technique is perfected!!
Cheers, Ron.