Defender tdci brake master cylinder union insert size

· 2 · 1405

stanlee

• Name: Dave Low
Defender tdci brake master cylinder union insert size
« on: December 13, 2016, 09:26:27 AM »
Hi - I have a Defender tdci bulkhead (including brake servo and master cylinder) which I'm using on a project without ABS. The unions on the ends of the pipes which connect the master cylinder to the  abs modulator are bigger than the standard 10mm which is used on the rest of the system (e.g. into the calipers). I want to use standard 3/16 brake pipe and a standard TD5 brake valve set up.

Does anyone know the metric size of the insert into the master cylinder? And then is it possible to get inserts of that size that take 3/16 brake pipe (because the pipe currently connecting the master cylinder to the abs modulator is bigger than 3/16").

IF they are 12mm rather than the standard 10mm then this male connector might work - what do you think? It says they take 3/16 pipe so as long as the tdci master cylinder uses 12mm inserts then I might be lucky.

https://www.beal.org.uk/automotive/brake-pipe-nuts-12mmx1mm-male-25.html

Thanks - Dave

« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 09:40:46 AM by stanlee »

Sandy M

Re: Defender tdci brake master cylinder union insert size
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 06:01:06 PM »
Not sure about your current Tdci and Td5 pipework,  but my 1985 Ninety has 3/16 pipework throughout and has a 10mm union on the rear outlet from the M/C and a 12mm union on the front. (I presumed that it was to stop enthusiastic amateurs like me connecting it up wrong).