Series Brakes.

· 5 · 1445

Spanielzrus

• Name: Alexander Thomson
Series Brakes.
« on: November 03, 2016, 08:06:31 PM »
Series 2A SWB with single circuit brakes 10" drums all round.  New wheel cylinders, brake linings, drums, adjusters, braided hoses and copper nickel pipes all round. :)

Brand new after market Brake Master Cylinder.  Pedal Height adjusted correctly and free play correct as per LR manual.

Push pedal down and no resistance until half way down then pedal goes firm but will only reach 38% braking force on rolling road.  System bled, back bled and pressure bled.  Bled to within an inch of its life!  Have clamped brake hoses and the same still happens >:(

Have i got the pedal adjustment wrong?  Is the new MC suspect?  Who makes the best Master Cylinders?

Thanks for the help.  Need this done for MOT.

lreay

Re: Series Brakes.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 09:01:01 PM »
Sounds like air is still trapped, for your CB type master cylinder it might help to raise the front of the land rover when bleeding to get the master cylinder lying horizontal.

Cheers
Luke

scotscim

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 10:44:11 PM »
Pm sent
Greig

1996 Defender 110 300tdi station wagon

1953 series 1 80 inch

Lurch032003

• Name: John wilkie
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 11:21:06 PM »
Have you taken the slack up on the mc ? Forget brake pedal height ! I had similar have about 1/4 free rest full pedal , each wheel jack up rotate wheel tighter adjuster full till it stops then back off bit by bit till there's still resistance and repeat on same, then goto the mc press down pedal is there any differance? If still same adjust the mc up by four turns a time till you get peddle feeling correct ( jack up front drivers have someone spin it while you then press brake pedal to see where it starts bite this gives you idear how far you got to adjust the mc too this was what I finally did and brake pedal height was over 2cm higher than book says , one final thing even a new mc can fail avoid blue packets ones also a few others use and send the blue ones best ask by message the maker of it before buying on eBay but that said I've had only a couple blue fail on me but before use fill with brake fluid and get it wet inside before use take the rubber dust cover of depress in and check the inside for any roughness as some have rough innerspring that need smoothed off as they destroy the seal pretty quick . Hope this helps some will agree others disagree with my way but it's worked for me each and everytime .
I'm not lost I'm just slow getting there.

Spanielzrus

• Name: Alexander Thomson
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 07:03:13 PM »
Finally got it sorted.  Binned the Sh**part MC and replaced with a more reputable make.  Bled again and passed MOT.  Will fiddle with peddle height and shoe adjustment as braes bed in but its now on the mend. Thanks for the replies.