Intro and Mad on Mud

· 3 · 1667

MJS

• Name: Murray Shanks
Intro and Mad on Mud
« on: October 28, 2016, 06:14:41 PM »
Newby here.. I understand my Freelander isn't perhaps the highest prestige when it come to 4x4s. I bought it on a whim when my wifes mini went in for brakes, and needed a car to use. (I drive a van mostly).. that and the mini isn't really all that practical for a family of 4.

Now I have the landrover, and have a hot a*se on my leather seats, and have the room to sit as I like without complaints from everyone, I'm loving it. I've posted a wanted for a set of wheels and AT tyres, and hope to have a bit more meaty rubber on there soon.

Found the Mad on Mud Club near Kinross, not too far from where I stay (Alloa). Membership is £150/yr, and from what I gather you can use the plentiful tracks and challenges whenever you like, with clubhouse and washbay to boot. http://www.scotoffroad.co.uk/club

Anyone here a member? If so, would you recommend it, and is there enough (not so challenging) routes that the Freelander could handle?

OldJocksRustbucket

Re: Intro and Mad on Mud
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 10:54:51 PM »
Welcome,
Been up to Glentarkie a few times, fantastic, not too sure if your Freelander will have the ground clearance for some of the runs as they get rutted badly so take it easy, Defender / Disco are ok, there was a Mitsubishi shogun belly stuck last time i was up and we gave him a hand to get sorted eventually winched him off.
The club runs great green lane runs roughly once a month, Alan (yellowdisco) is the Green Run Guru, keep an eye on the callander, next ones in December. We were at Keilder recently and it was brilliant, Carron Forest was last week and it was pretty good as well, there's nothing to stop you heading off down to Keilder and doing the forest run yourself as its normally open, just £3 at the barrier and you have acces to miles of track, great day out for everyone, take a picnic and a OS map
Hope you enjoy your Land Rover
Jock

MJS

• Name: Murray Shanks
Re: Intro and Mad on Mud
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 05:16:09 PM »
Thanks Jock.

Sounds good. The most annoying thing is I've been so many places and thought - if only I had a LR - but now can't think of any of them.

There's a decent field near where I stay that has some fairly wild slopes, and just so happens I'm friends with the owner. So I'll probably test my capabilities there first.

I'll look out for the club events though.