Land Rover 300tdi defender Diff lock

· 6 · 2057

Hillend123

• Name: James Graham
Land Rover 300tdi defender Diff lock
« on: September 12, 2016, 10:16:19 PM »
I use my 300tdi loads with a big Ifor Williams trailer for hauling logs out of very tough conditions but spend a lot of time spinning/stuck/digging holes - I have very good mud tyres and know how to use the diff lock but its not enough most of the time - can anyone give me a lowdown on what I need to add "proper" diff locks that "lock" all the wheels when I need. How hard/easy, much£, and what do I need, and where? Many thanks J

chrislightweight

Re: Land Rover 300tdi defender Diff lock
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 09:34:45 AM »
You would need locking or limited slip diffs (not just the diff lock in the transfer box)

Fitting one in the rear should be enough ,google detroit locker ,you could fit air lockers for which you would need a compressor set up but i think there are other options for locking and unlocking

Are you sure you cetre diff lock is working ?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 09:46:04 AM by chrislightweight »

Dave T

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 06:50:41 AM »
Diff lockers would work a treat, try GSM, he may have two for sale.
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

rangerovering

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 09:04:14 AM »
I would second trying one in the rear first, front difflocks can make the steering very heavy. There are different options, KAM locking diffs are electric and basically just need a switch on the dash.
Steve

GSM

• Name: Gordon McCheyne
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 12:42:29 PM »
Hi there,
As said, lockers will work a treat.

I have two ARB 10 spline diff lockers complete with diffs, half shafts, air compressor, all  switches and pipe work - essentially everything needed to install front and rear lockers.

PM me if you are interested.
Thanks,
Gordon

Sandy M

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 07:21:40 PM »
I use my 300tdi loads with a big Ifor Williams trailer for hauling logs out of very tough conditions but spend a lot of time spinning/stuck/digging holes ......

Thinking laterally here  ::), but how about putting fewer logs on the trailer, or using a smaller trailer. AFAIK LR recommend a max off road towing weight of 1,000kgs.

Depending on your intended use, eg how many loads per day/week you need to haul it may be easier and cheaper than buying and fitting an expensive accesory??