P38 ABS and TC lights staying on

· 5 · 1782

DRH

P38 ABS and TC lights staying on
« on: August 29, 2016, 08:35:00 PM »
I'm trying to help out my next door neighbour who has a tidy 1999 P38 but getting rapidly disheartened 

The ABS and TC lights have come on and we can't get them to go out.

I have a nanocom but it's only got the Disco 2 and Defender modules, but nevertheless I tried interrogating the abs system using the abs modules for both as I though there may be some commonality.

It read the ECU with both and both cleared the fault register (allegedly), but when you try and drive it the lights stay on.

Initially when I tried it, it flung up an abs sensor out of range but this went away and never came back.  I know it's clearing the faults as I get a load of information regarding faults with the air suspension when I read it with the D2 module.  When cleared and re-read it confirms there's no faults logged, then when you drive it up the road all the air suspension faults come back logged.

The only common fault that keeps coming back in either module is that it says it has a fauly modulator switch - but the whole unit looks fairly new - and surely the lights should go out if the faults are really being cleared - or is it like some VW's where specific readers are needed to remove certain types of data.

Anyone got and ideas or have a reader that suits the P38 I could try - I'm in Larbert

Hope someone can help as he's getting ready to throw in the towel - really needs to try and get a diagnostic done before doing that.  Unfortunately the cars out of mot now and can't go anywhere as a result of this

Thanks Duncan

OldJocksRustbucket

Re: P38 ABS and TC lights staying on
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 10:23:17 PM »
There was an article in this months Land Rover Magazine describing the issues with ABS faults and how to reset the system with a paper clip, maybe you've got it sorted by now but thought it was worth mentioning.
Cheers Jock

DRH

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 03:46:52 PM »
Cheers Jock

My neighbour eventiually got rid of the car without sorting the light.  I've still got my own P38 so I'll try and find the article for future reference

Duncan

OldJocksRustbucket

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 10:12:50 PM »
HI Duncan
This months Land Rover Monthly, if you cant find it i can always acquire a copy for you
Cheers
Jock
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 10:56:42 PM by OldJocksRustbucket »

OldJocksRustbucket

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 07:32:19 PM »
Hi Duncan did you get the stuff on the ABS
Jock