110 body removal

· 90 · 17862

Sandy M

Re: 110 body removal
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2016, 08:47:23 PM »
Good luck, quite jealous of the workspace!!

Mine is still spread about the garage and garden, but I am looking forward to bolting it all back together with nice new shiny bolts and rivets.

I decided at the start that any bolts would get a quick grunt with a spanner and if they resisted they met Mr Bosch and his carborundum disc.  Some did come off really easy but others had to be cut/ground off, which is not bad considering it was a 30 years old car. 

mudTerrain

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2016, 09:00:23 PM »
Hi Sandy - a very wise decision with the angle-grinder...it saves a lot of time, effort and swearing!

Another evening spent looking for the last few bolts holding the wings on;

From the top left:

1) The arch and all the various bolts from the O/S inner wing have been removed - one undid (I framed it!) but all the others had to be cut out...
2) I had to take the snorkel off, but one of the captive bolts started spinning in the plastic, so I had to lever it out of the wing, doing it no favours :(
3) The vacuum servo that controls the EGR valve came off pretty easily.

4) I disconnected the wiring to the wing indicator and who knows what else...there's some sort of heat-sink bolted inside the wing.
5) Well done if you can make this out!  Here's the special vicious (viscous?) spanner undoing the fan, with a big screw-driver holding the pulley in place - this worked quite well (there's also a cr@ppy old bit of pipe extending the spanner handle here)...
6) Once the fan's out, the fan shroud can be removed...

7) There are two bolts up under the ends of the slam panel that hold the centre panel and the wings together, but also hold the radiator brackets in place - they actually undid!
8 ) The Haynes manual says to undo these two screws...another job for the angle-grinder, it turned out :(
9) The radiator comes out fairly easily, but it's awkward to lift without standing on the wings...luckily, I still have the chain-winch set up :)

10) This is just some gratuitous filth...no more bolts under here, though!
11) Here's where I called it a day - the wings are bolted to two brackets just at the rear of the wheel arches and they just don't want to shift!  I'd have to take the wheels off again to get the angle-grinder in, so that's a job for next time...

In theory, I should be able to lift the wings and centre panel out in one go with the winch once these last two bolts are out.

Can anybody describe how viscous the viscous coupling for the fan should be?  Mine's pretty much solid, so is it knackered?

More of the same to come shortly...

:)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 09:14:15 PM by mudTerrain »

mudTerrain

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2016, 10:53:52 AM »
Some significant weight-reduction this time...

...from the top left as usual:

1) I decided to unbolt the two slam-panel supports from the bottom - luckily the bolts undid easily, but it's probably too tight here to get them back in, so these need putting in place before the front panel goes on...better remember that!
2) The power steering reservoir had to come off the wing - one bolt sheared, the other had to be cut off...
3) The bonnet release cable was disconnected from the handle in the footwell and pulled through the bulkhead into the engine bay...
4) I discovered some sort of vacuum hose inside the N/S wing - luckily, it has a valve of some sort in it, so I could just separate it it.  These are my fair hands, by the way!  How did I manage to take this photo?  Well...I conned my girlfriend into helping me by saying something like "could you just come down and hold a spanner for me?"...little did she know, she'd end up standing on a ladder, hauling on a chain-winch while I tried to be both sides of the Land Rover at once, un-jamming and un-tanging things...
5) The good old chain-winch put to use again, lifting the wings and centre panel away in one go, as suggested.  I had to put the bolts back in where the front panel meets the wings to make sure it didn't all just flop apart.  I'd taken them out to remove the radiator support brackets.  The Haynes manual says something about "winding out a stud with two nuts" here - I can't see any studs, so presumably somebody did that in the past and didn't put them back...
6) A bit of gentle persuasion to un-stick the wing on the N/S...
7) ...and the same on the O/S...
8 ) ...and I discovered some wiring to the spotlights that I hadn't disconnected...
9)...so, with the wires cleaned, labelled and then cut...
10) ...the wings and front panel lifted away pretty easily, really!
11) Hmm..now what?
12) Well, I wheeled over the roof and dumped the whole section on the roof-rack - good old roof-rack :)
13) So there it is, wings off and ready to start stripping things off the bulkhead...
14) ...and I can admire my filthy, oily and mud covered(!) engine - I've already found a load of straw jammed in the alternator!

I think the viscous fan conundrum has solved itself - I laid the fan on the roof and, when I came back to it, there was (presumably) viscous oil everywhere, having leaked out of it, so I think it's done all the viscous coupling it's going to do...still, it's done 215,000 miles service, so I can't complain :)

Any suggestions as to what to do next would be welcome - my plan is:

Remove the master cylinder and brake pedal assembly
Investigate and remove the clutch pedal (assembly?)
Strip down and remove the dashboard and instruments (that will undoubtedly be a massive load of fun)
Remove the steering assembly

Hopefully, by that point, the bulkhead should be about ready to come out...

Cheerio :)

mudTerrain

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2016, 12:09:10 PM »
I thought this might come in handy - it's a bit rough, but I'm pretty sure these are all the bolts and screws I removed to get each wing off - I've not shown teh bolts that hold the wings to the centre panel or the radiator brackets, though...

mudTerrain

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2016, 07:51:15 PM »
Is it just me, or are the evenings starting to draw in?

...I had to get the spotlight out to do this lot:

From the top left again:

1) I decided to start by getting the airbox out of the way...an easy job, I thought.
2) The nearest air-hose clip had rusted away to nothing, so wasn't going to come undone...
3) ...so I had to undo the next one, buried behind the engine.
4) With the persuasion of a very large screwdriver, the airbox popped out of its rubber mounts...
5) ...leaving the tray, which is fixed to the bulkhead by three rubber mounts/bolts.

6) They decided to put up quite a fight, so had to be cut off...
7) ...but, tray out, onto the next job; draining the brake fluid in preparation for removing the brake pedal assembly.  Both front bleed screws were rusted in and rounded off, but luckily I had this set of flower-shaped sockets that did a brilliant job getting one screw undone.
8 ) With a one-man bleeding kit fixed to the nipple, I just pumped out the fluid using the brake pedal (the hose split at one point, hence the fluid on the caliper...)
9) Next, I disconnected the brake fluid level sensor...
10) ...made a note of which brake pipe went where...

11) ...and tried to disconnect the brake pipe unions - one of them started to round off, so I just cut the pipe - I'm planning on fitting all new brake pipes, anyway...
12) The next job was to remove the wiring from the back of the brake servo, but this bracket partially covers it...
13) ...so I removed it...
14) ...and getting at the wires on the back of the servo was much easier.
15) The brake pedal assembly is held onto the bulkhead with these six bolts...

16) ...which had been soaking in penetrating oil for three days, so came out fairly easily, releasing the pedal but, like an idiot, I'd left the servo assist hose attached...
17) ...which put up a fight, so got cut off...new hose needed here, then.
18) Ta-da!  No brake pedal.  The Haynes manual says something about retrieving the rubber seal between the servo and the bulkhead...ah...ha!  Perhaps they should think about revising their manuals for vehicles with more than just delivery mileage on them...

That all went remarkably well, so I'm quite optimistic about removing the clutch pedal next!

mudTerrain

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2016, 01:15:48 PM »
Now onto the fiddly stuff - the pace of taking things apart has somewhat slowed down, now...

I've obviously gone a bit mental for taking pictures here!

1) Before I could take the clutch pedal out, I had to drain the clutch fluid, which is done the same way as the brakes; with a bleeding kit on the clutch slave-cylinder bleed nipple, I pumped all the fluid out using the pedal.
2) The clutch fluid pipe unscrewed from the master cylinder pretty easily...
3) ...which just left undoing the six bolts in the footwell.
4) There are three wiring connectors to disconnect from the pedal bracket in the engine bay...
5) ...but that done, the pedal lifted out fairly easily, although the foam gasket has had it...
6) Not sure what the story is here - I removed the expansion tank and had to angle-grind out this bolt, though!

7) The accelerator pedal is held on with two bolts and nuts in the engine bay.
8 ) When it drops off,, the cover also falls off and the wiring connector can be unclipped.
9) The last few things attached to the bulkhead are this voltage regulator thing...
10) ...and the roll-over switch.
11) There was no avoiding it anymore, so I had to make a start on the dashboard etc...
12) The steering column shroud etc came off fairly easily...

13) ...and the instrument binnacle is easy to remove.
14) The passenger JC handle is held on with screws in largely random positions...
15) ...but comes off easily.
16) Getting at the screws along the top of the dash is awkward because of the windscreen...
17) ...so I unbolted it at either end and lifted it off with the good old chain-winch - certainly getting my money's worth out of that!
18) Does it look cool with no windscreen?  I'm not sure...

19) The bulkhead is "effed" to use a technical term - the entire top disintegrated as the windscreen came away...
20) ...but now I could get the top of the dash fascia off.
21) I got rid of the radio...
22) ...and made a start on the wiper motor, which is at the far passenger-end of the dash.
23) There's a nut under that black rubber shroud that holds a long worm-screw type cable in place...
24) ...that just pulls out when you remove the motor - the wiper arms spin round as you withdraw it, which is weird if you're not expecting it...

To get the lower dash out, I need to remove the grey trim above it, but the plastic clips are quite difficult to get at, so I'm off to Halfords to get one of those special fascia-clip removal tools to make life easier.

The bulkhead is properly knackered - it's rusted completely through all along the top where the windscreen sits, behind the heater and behind the brake servo.  The driver-side door pillar has been welded in the past and that's started bubbling up again, so I'm not sure it's salvageable in any realistic way.  The footwells are mostly OK, but there's a hole by the transmission tunnel in the drivers-side...good job I'm replacing it, really!

I reckon I'll have the bulkhead out by next weekend!  (famous last words...)

mudTerrain

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2016, 08:01:14 PM »
More fiddly, awkwardness taking the dash apart:

So what's going on here?

1) The first job was to get rid of the grey upper trim, which is fairly awkward to remove once all the grey clips fastening it to the bulkhead have been broken...
2) I decided to remove the instrument binnacle surround next, which is held in place with four screws.
3) The binnacle bottom tray unscrews first...
4) ...then the binnacle surround is removed.
5) The next job is to remove the various things in the way of removing the lower-fascia tray/insert, starting with the windscreen air ducting...

6) ...then the vent lever...
7) ...which is fixed to the vent-flap with two 8mm bolts.
8 ) Next, I removed this little switch cowling.
9) You can see the clips at the side away from the bulkhead that hold the insert in place...
10) ...and, once it's removed, you can see the main looms underneath, one wrapped in purple tape and the other in orange tape.

11) There are two bolts that hold the lower dash fascia in place - one here behind the purple loom...
12) ...and one here behind the orange loom.
13) Once they're out, the lower dash-fascia drops away from the bulkhead...
14) ...leaving just the wiring to the switches by the drivers door to disconnect...
15) ...and a heater cable that directs the airflow to your feet - this could be disconnected inside the lower fascia, but that looked awkward...

16) ...so I disconnected the cable from the heater controls, instead.
17) There you go - lower fascia-panel gone, just leaving all the wiring hanging...
18) Next job is to remove the upper dash plate/sub-frame, which mainly unscrews...
19) ...but this brace between the steering-column and the bulkhead needs to be unbolted and the top bolt can't be removed past the back of the windscreen-wiper pivot...
20) ...which means removing the wiper-arms and wiper-arm mounts, but these are held on with grub-screws that rusted in a good hundred-thousand miles ago, so I needed to go and get my cobalt drills...which were at home, so that was that for the day...

I can see I'm going to have to feed the wiring through the bulkhead so that the bulkhead can be removed, but which way is best to do it?  Feed all the wires from the cab into the engine-bay or cut/disconnect the looms and feed them back through into the cab?  Both ways look like an almighty pain the posterior...

I can very clearly see now that nobody on the Land Rover design team ever once stopped to say, "hang on, that might rust and end up impossible to remove..."  Mind you, I suppose there are chaps out in the Sahara Desert shrugging and wondering what  the problem is..."ما هو هذا الشيء استدعاء الصدأ؟" I expect they're saying...

mudTerrain

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2016, 10:17:58 PM »
People often say that one of the best features of the Td5 is its complex and copious wiring - read on, and you'll see just how right they are...

1) Having drilled out the grub-screws holding the wiper spline mounts on, they still wouldn't come off, despite much hitting with a hammer, so I've left them for the time being...
2) Back to stripping out the electrics behind the dash, starting with the relays...
3) ...then this green box thing...
4) ...then the wires on the back of the ignition switch.
5) At this point, the whole loom can be hung over the other side of the steering column, tidying it up nicely...
6) I decided to feed the heater cables through the bulkhead into the engine bay at this point.

7) Next, I started feeding the loom through the passenger-side of the bulkhead back into the cab - I phoned the company who are selling me my new bulkhead for their advice and they said trying to feed the loom through the other way was far more difficult.
8 ) So that I could see the wiring looms more clearly, I decided to remove the transmission tunnel, which is only held in with a few screws...
9) ...but it wouldn't lift out past the handbrake...
10) ...so I disconnected the cable...
11) ...and unbolted the lever from the seatbox.  The Haynes manual says the lever can be removed at this point. but it's still attached by the cable as far as I can see...
12) ...but the PTO lever extension still stops the transmission tunnel from lifting clear...

13) ...the PTO lever extension is bolted to the PTO lever itself just under the removable centre floor section...
14) ...and, once unbolted, it can be pulled out into the drivers footwell.
15) NOW the transmission tunnel can be removed...
16) Back to the loom - two looms pass alongside the gearbox in the passenger footwell...
17) ...go over the top of the gearbox and come out in the electronics bay under the drivers seat.
18) There's a fusebox under here, too - the wiring can be unplugged from the bottom of it, though...

19) ...except for the main power feed...
20) ...which has to be unscrewed from the top.
21) Now the fusebox can be removed...
22) ...clearing the way to unclip the various relays.
23) Now the two looms are free from the relays etc...
24) ...they can be fed back through the electronics bay side, onto the top of the gearbox.

25) The red-ended loom has a connector just the other side of the electronics bay that needs to be disconnected to free it...
26) ...the black-ended loom also has a connection to this green relay that has to be unplugged...
27) One of the looms, I can't remember which, has these two plugs fixing it to the gearbox in the drivers footwell...
28) ...and then the black-ended loom has this earth connection in the electronics bay that needs to be unbolted - there's evidence that electrical fairies have been at work in here, which various unidentifiable splices etc having been added at some point in the past...
29) Both looms are now free to be fed back over the top of the gearbox...
30) ...but there's no way in Hell they're going to fit through the gap between the gearbox and the seat box, which was a bit of a pain in the @rse to discover, to say the least.

So, it seems the next job is to remove the seatbox or, if it looks do-able, lift the entire rear-tub and seat box as one unit - either way will require the wiring to the batteries to be fed back out, onto the gearbox and those electrical fairies have enthusiastically added to the wiring under the passenger seat, making it quite a challenge to separate the seatbox from the cab...

I'll bet anybody out there with a Series is dead jealous of all this wiring!

mudTerrain

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2016, 09:11:24 PM »
Right; I've decided to take the seatbox out separately from the tub - it's obviously very rusty, so needs "looking at" (i.e. with an angle-grinder) - here we go, then:

1) To get the seatbox out, I'll have to feed the remaining wiring out of the under-seat bays and onto the gearbox, starting with these last relays (actually, one of them's a "voltage sensitive switch"...ah, yes, one of those...)
2) There it all goes - byeee!
3) Here's the electronics bay under the passenger seat where the batteries live - nicely "enhanced" bit of wiring!
4) There are three sets of wires that need to be fed back out of the bay - the thick battery negative cable...

5) ...the thick battery positive cable and a couple of thinner cables that feed through the front of the seatbox, into the passenger footwell.
6) Last time, I couldn't figure out how the handbrake lever came away from the cable - it turns out it just needed pulling harder...
7) This is one of the bolts that hold down the front of the seatbox - not only was it rusted in and rounded off, it eventually sheared after a good three minutes of fighting with it.  I took a picture of it, because I thought this should be Land Rover's official logo...well...I was a bit peeved at this point....
8 ) These are the bolts that hold the seatbox to the rear tub...

9) ...and this is one of the nuts behind it - it's held in place by a captive cage, but that obviously turned to rust many thousands of miles ago, meaning the bolts are impossible to remove...
10) ...unless you take an angle-grinder to them - good, I was missing using it...

The rest of the bolts along the back of the seatbox all come out fairly easily, but the seatbox seems to be sprung slightly against the tub, so all of them needed a smack with a hammer to get them free once the nuts were off.  The seatbox seems to be mostly free, so the next job is to starting lifting it and see what's still holding it in...hopefully nothing (ha!).

Sandy M

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2016, 11:33:14 PM »
Right; I've decided to take the seatbox out separately from the tub ..... but the seatbox seems to be sprung slightly against the tub...... so the next job is to starting lifting it and see what's still holding it in...hopefully nothing (ha!).

I take it you have already removed the two bolts holding the front edge of the seat box to the two raised brackets sticking up from the main chassis rails ?  if you haven't taken them out already, put a new disc in the grinder  8)

mudTerrain

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2016, 09:09:08 PM »
Hi Sandy!

Thanks for the warning - one of those was the bolt that sheared on me in the end...but not to worry; there turned out to be plenty of other bolts that needed the gentle caress of the grinder...

It's all getting a bit serious, now...

1) This was my plan then - good old chain-winch to the rescue, lifting the seatbox out nice and easily...
2) ...but I hadn't reckoned on the seatbelts being bolted through the seatbox, into a bracket that's fixed to the tub...
3) ...so they had to come off - now, there's a bit of a clue in this picture, but see if you can guess how I "removed" the seatbelt bolts...
4) Once I started lifting the seatbox, it became obvious that I was also trying to lift the whole Defender by these brackets, so I had to release it all, unhook them and then...

5) ...up the seatbox came...
6) ...and even further up, so I could back the Defender out from under it.
7) Now I can get at all the wiring...
8 ) ...and the bolts that hold the tub down on the N/S...

9) ...and the O/S.  I don't doubt you can remove the seatbox and the tub together, but it must be a proper pain in the @rse to do!  You can see the quality Lidl's "rust dissolver" I'm using in this picture - as the majority of my Defender remains undissolved, I can confidently says its action is less dramatic than one might hope for...
10) That all went so well, I felt a bit guilty packing up for the night early, so I attacked the steering column - it all actually unbolted and then fell off!  I near enough fell on the floor in shock!
11) I removed the plate that secures it to the bulkhead in the hope that some massive hole would appear, allowing me to pass the steering column through the bulkhead forward, thus meaning I didn't have to remove the steering lock...
12) ...but that was wishful thinking, so the next job is to try to tap around these bolts with a punch until they come free - that sounds like fun...

After the steering column, the next job is the two brackets that secure the bulkhead footwells to the chassis and the bracket that holds the clutch hydraulic pipe in place - that looks like being a bit of a pain...

mudTerrain

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2016, 09:18:13 PM »
Right - a bit of an epic this one, but bear with me - you'll never guess what happens in the end!

1) The first job was to use a punch to tap round the shear-head nuts that hold the steering lock/ignition on - the various write-ups I'd seen on this said it was dead easy to do...
2) ...so I must have been doing it wrong - I couldn't get them to shift at all, but after a couple of minutes under the cobalt drill bits, both bolts gave up the ghost.
3) Next job was to split the steering shaft - this proved tricky, as the intake ducting kept getting in the way...
4) ...so I shifted the duct to get at the bracket...
5) ...and attacked the bolts with the good old grinder.
6) Now I had some room to wedge open the spline coupling in the driving shaft...

7) ...and a couple of smart taps with a hammer saw it fall apart.
8 ) I'd already freed up all the mounting plates and brackets, so the steering shaft came out with less drama than I was expecting.
9) Now I could finish unclipping the various wiring connectors that were still attached to the bulkhead.
10) There are two connectors that need to be unclipped just on the O/S of the transmission tunnel...
11) ...and then these three that were attached to the brake servo bracket - they're colour-coded, so reattaching them should be straight forward...
12) Back to the clutch slave cylinder connection - this went mammary-glands vertical and no mistake!  The pipe had rusted to the union bolt and sheared as I unscrewed it, then the connection itself had rusted to the bracket and had to be hack-sawed off...

13) The next job was to remove this steering-shaft bracket...
14) ...and the two bolts securing the bulkhead footwell to the chassis bracket.
15) I didn't even try to use a spanner here - the steering bracket came off with the angle-grinder...
16) ...as did the driver-side footwell bracket bolts...
17) ...and the passenger side ones.
18) The bottom corners of the bulkhead are secured to the forward outrigger with a huge bolt, which came out fairly easily on the driver-side...

19) ...and the passenger-side.
20) Now came a really tricky one - I realised at this point that the bulkhead is fixed to the sill with three bolts - this one...
21) ...this one right up underneath the sill and one in the front.  They're all fixed in place using captive nuts inside the outrigger - obviously, these have long since rusted away and, while you can get at two of them...
22) ...the one right in the corner is impossible to get at - the back is too shallow to get a spanner or a set of mole-grips on...plus, it's round!  My solution was to drill diagonally into the bolt with increasingly larger bits until the head came off - I vigorously questioned the legitimacy of this bolts parentage at great length while doing this - the other side was even worse!
23) There's a screw the goes down through the footwell, but it hols a diagonal bracket in place that I'd already unbolted from the sill.
24) So...all bolts out - check!  All wiring clear - check!  Chain-winch attached - check!  Girlfriend persuaded to take charge of chain-hauling duties - check!  Time to start lifting...

My plan was to lift the bulkhead with the looms attached - I'll swap the loom into the new bulkhead when I get it...

1) I used the heater and steering-shaft holes to lift the bulkhead...
2) ...being careful not to damage the wiring-looms on the inside.
3) The bulkhead needs a bit of persuasion to clear the sill and the outriggers...
4) ...as it's all a bit tight and over-lapping...
5) ...but, with a bit of tension on the lift, the bulkhead comes away fairly easily.
6) It became clear that there was a connector under the gearbox that was holding one of the looms in place...

7) ...the connector's here under the handbrake somewhere...
8 ) ...which, in case you didn't know...is on the driver-side of the gearbox.
9) My Defender has some sort of auxiliary fusebox attached to the bulkhead, which needed removing.
10) Everything finally free, we started lifting again...and discovered an earth-strap bolted between the chassis and the driver-side footwell...
11) ...which is fixed with a brass nut, so undid remarkably easily.
12) Lifting the bulkhead out was all so exciting, I didn't take any pictures!  Instead, here's yours truly having a bit of a think...possibly considering the purpose of rust in the grand scheme of things...

13) We dumped the bulkhead on a handy trolley...
14) ...and my girlfriend went crazy for taking pictures of it - here's a rusty bulkhead...
15) ...here's part of the same rusty bulkhead...
16) ...here's more of the same rusty bulkhead...
17) ...here's where the bulkhead used to be...
18) ...and, er, here's that rusty bulkhead again - photogenic, isn't it?

19) So, bulkhead out and engine on view...
20) ...I started recovering various parts off it, starting with these sill brackets...
21)  and then the transmission tunnel surround...
22) ...which is totally knackered, so new one required there.
23) Buoyed up with enthusiasm, I made a start on the bolts that hold the front of the tub to the middle outriggers - they were a pain in the @rse to get out and used up all my reserves of enthusiasm, so I called it a day, there.
24) Just for the fun of it, I stood in the back and took a picture forward - it's not looking very drivable, these days, is it?

There you go then - I said I'd get the sacrificial anode...I mean bulkhead...out by the weekend and b*gger me if I didn't manage it!  Dare I say I'll have the tub off by next weekend?  That really might be a bit optimisic - hopefully, I've not misunderestimated the amount of work required...

mudTerrain

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2016, 09:14:28 AM »
Well, it turns out getting the tub off isn't a quick job...

1) My Defender is ex-electric board and has these cool side lockers...
2) ...which are held on with two bolts down through the sill (not the two you can see in the outrigger)...
3) ...two bolts to a bracket on the outrigger...
4) ...and two bolts to a bracket off the chassis, at the back of the locker - grinding them all out was noisy, as I had to do it from inside the lockers...
5) I'd decided by this point to separate the sills from the tub, but there's a bolt behind this large bracket (that held the seat-box) that's impossible to get at or undo "conventionally"...

6) This bracket is held to the sill at two points - this is one of them...
7) ...and, if you have them, by the foot-step stay, which is bolted into the chassis.
8 ) The seat-box bracket comes away fairly easily with the foot-steps...
9) ...and you can get at the last bolt holding the sill to the tub.
10) Next, are the seatbelt brackets...

11) ...which bolt through the tub to a stay securing them to the chassis.  Only the outer of these two bolts needs to be ground away, as the inner bolts secure the brackets to the tub only.
12) I was a bit mystified by the sills not having dropped off, but discovered a row of rivets behind a seal, holding the bottom edge of the lockers to the sill....
13) ...oh, and there was a bolt through the wheel-arch into the sill, but this sort of popped off through the plastic arch, of its own accord, shortly after this photo was taken  ::)
14) So there we go - I've chased the bodywork back as far as the tub, now.
15) Now for the really filthy cr@p just forward of the rear cross-member, starting with the mud-flap brackets, which are bolted to the chassis.

16) There are two stays (one either side) that fix to the bodywork with recessed bolts - I ground one side out and realised that a) it was stainless and would have undone and b) grinding it out knackers the bodywork, as the bolt-heads are recessed.
17) I found the fuel-filler pipe was easiest to disconnect at this point - I then stuffed it full of paper towel to stop any of the large quantity of countryside still stuck to the inside of the bodywork going down the hole.
18 ) There's also a breather-pipe to remove from the filler neck - it undid and pulled of quite easily.
19) Next was the wiring to the rear lights - there was a connector here, but it doesn't seem to serve any logical purpose, as it just connects part of the loom to itself, so is no help in separating the lights from the loom.
20) Instead, I had to delve under the light-covers in the back of the tub...

21) ...disconnect everything and feed the wiring back down into the wheel-well - actually, only one of these sets of wires (per side) needs passing back down into the wheel-well...
22) ...but you have to disconnect all the lights to do it.

...at this point, I was feeling pretty pleased with how things were going - I couldn't start trying to lift the tub because I couldn't get at the chain-winch, which was because...

23) ...the farmer had left one of his tractors in the way and I didn't fancy moving it without him around (a bit of blatant tractor porn for you here - an unrestored and still used Massey Ferguson 35!)...

...so, I decided to have a bit of a fiddle with the front bumper, just to see how difficult it was going to be to get it off - this did not go well...

24) The bumper is held on with four enormous long bolts that go in from the top...
25) ...and, in case you're wondering how I'm keeping track of all the bolts, here's freezer-bag number 72, with a post-it note inside it telling me what it contains - I have a whole 32 litre crate of these, now!

26) As I undid the bolts, though, it suddenly became obvious that the bumper and winch were falling off - they weigh, I reckon, about 100kg together, so there was no way I was going to either hold it in place or put it back, so I quickly rolled the chassis* forward and tied it to the chain-winch, as there was enough room to do that, just!
27) Now I was committed to getting the bumper off, as I couldn't leave it chained to the roof(!), but it wouldn't lift over the front bash-plate, as it hooks over it and the chassis stops it lifting far enough - also, the winch was fixed in place on one side by the prop-shaft that drives it.

...I had a bit of decision to make here, as I had to disconnect the winch from the prop-shaft somehow.  I'd spent about an hour grinding off the bolts that held the bash-plate on and, despite a lot of investigation, I couldn't see a way of separating the prop-shaft from either the PTO or the winch.  By this point, the sun had long since gone down and I kept losing tools in the dark - I could either cut through the prop-shaft to free the winch...

28) ...or I could undo these four bolts and, hopefully, withdraw the drive mechanism from the winch with the prop-shaft intact.
29) Guess which choice I went for...
30) That was definitely the wrong choice - I should definitely just have cut the prop-shaft...bl00dy oil went everywhere as the drive mechanism came out of the winch and, the more I tried to catch it in bowls and with paper towels, the more it rose to the challenge and covered everything, like some sort of evil, oily emulsion-creature.  Oil was everywhere, on me, on my tools, all over the floor, everywhere...bugger :(

Still, at least the bumper's off, although what I'm going to do with it next is anybody's guess - it's exceptionally heavy and unwieldy - the front tyres must think I've taken the engine out!  After that debacle, I'm not going down there tonight, though...I think we need some time apart, Land Rover...it's not you, it's me...I'll call you on the weekend, honest...

*When does a Land Rover go from being a vehicle to being just a chassis?  When the last bodywork's been taken off?  Am I changing the chassis and bulkhead of my Land Rover or am I building a new Land Rover from bits of the old one?  If I have to change the dashboard and the seat-box too, I think this is all going to go a bit "Ship of Theseus"...

mudTerrain

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2016, 04:34:53 PM »
I couldn't stay away for long - I started going into rust-withdrawal...

I've decided to split this into two parts - first, some "filling-in" activities, while I was waiting for some help with the "main event", below...

...those of a mechanically sympathetic nature may wish to look away at this point...

1) I still had the problem of the winch drive gear being attached to the prop-shaft...
2) ...there were two grub-screws apparently holding the UJ in place, but despite drilling them out, it wouldn't move - I didn't have a gas torch to heat it with (and that would probably have knackered the UJ anyway), so I just cut through one of the UJ cross-arms - proper mechanical butchery :(
3) I was hopeful that the UJ at the PTO end would be easier to remove...
4) ...and to give me some leeway to manoeuvre the prop-shaft, I removed these bolts, which hold one of the prop-shaft guide cups on a plate...
5) ...but none of this helped - the UJ was never coming off the PTO (and I was worried about damaging the internal gearing of the PTO by bashing it about too much), so I cut through this UJ, too...I felt tainted for having done it, though :(

6) I'd decided to start clearing the way for lifting the engine and gearbox out, so I started by bending back the brake and clutch lines.
7) The forward section of the exhaust is actually quite easy to remove (with no bodywork in the way, anyway!) - these three nuts came off quite easily.
8 ) I removed the heat-shield from turbo for better access to the exhaust - the Haynes manual says there are three bolts holding it on...
9) ...but there are actually four...and one of them's a different size to the others...but it's fairly easy to remove.
10) At the rear end of the exhaust forward section are these two bolts...

11) ...they come off fairly easily, too...
12) ...leaving the exhaust hanging from this mounting point.
13) With a bit of wiggling, the exhaust comes away from the turbo and now, the only thing tying the engine to the chassis...
14) ...is the power steering system, starting with this reservoir...
15) ...and these two pipes fixed to the front chassis cross-member...

16) ...which then fix to the power-steering pump...
17) ...with a bolt-on union and a jubilee-clipped pipe - I'll undo these another day...

Now for the exciting bit - removing the tub!..

1) First, I moved the Land Rover (old chassis?) under the chain-winch...
2) The seat belts and rear-wheel carrier were bungeed in place to stop them flapping about...
3) I wasn't sure how heavy the tub was, so I decided to lift it from the bottom rather than through the various holes around the top of it...
4) ...here you can see that the rope passed under the rear has helpfully hooked around the exhaust...bl00dy ropes...you can also see a slight logistical problem with my plan - I had to stand in the tub to get at the winch...
5) With only moderate persuasion from a very big screw-driver, the tub lifted free of the chassis!

6) I didn't have charge of the camera at this point - I'd yet again pleaded for help from my girlfriend and, while I balanced on the gearbox hauling on the chain-winch, she enthusiastically took pictures...
7) This seems to be the rear lifting rope passing over the rear chassis sub-frame.
8 ) The tub was well clear by this point and nothing seemed to be still attached, so we carried on lifting.
9) Here's the rear lifting rope again...
10) This is looking under the tub from N/S to O/S - that's me the other side...I seem to be kicking something...I expect it deserved it...

11) We carried on up...
12) ...and up...
13) ...and up a bit more...
14) ...until the chassis would clear the tub and we just rolled it out from underneath.
15) With a bit of arranging and buggering about, we got the tub up on end (this was actually quite awkward)...

16) ...and, from there, lowered it upside-down onto a dolly I'd built out of decking and four casters.
17) A bit of rearranging and, well, this barn isn't half full of Land Rover bits now!

I'd read somewhere that flipping the tub upside-down was a good idea, as the underside is an awkward shape to put down anywhere.  I think I read that "two men can easily manoeuvre it" - if they both play rugby semi-professionally and do a bit of power-lifting on the weekends, that may be the case, but I can tell you now that the tub it very heavy and very awkward to get hold of.  Flipping it upside-down involved lifting it with the winch from one end, tying it at the bottom to an anchor point to start it flipping and then winching it down onto the trolley while said girlfriend hauled on a rope fixed to the top of it to keep it flipping over.  When we finally got it down onto the trolley, she claimed that it had been the most dangerous thing she'd ever done - rubbish; I'm sure I've had her doing far more dangerous things than that!

The old chassis does look like it's spend some considerable time at the bottom of the sea - it has an "RMS Titanic" level of corrosion in places!

Engine out by next weekend?  I might have to stop and have a think, first...

mudTerrain

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2016, 07:43:26 PM »
A lot of other, much more boring stuff has got in the way of getting the engine out recently, but I've got there in the end;

1) The first job was to disconnect the prop-shafts from the gearbox...
2) ...ideally, you need a special long, narrow-neck, think-walled socket to do this, but apparently you can also do it with a couple of open spanners and a lot of swearing...
3) So, prop-shafts off...onto the four mounting points.
4) The engine has two, one on the O/S which is easy to get at...
5) ...and one on the N/S which is awkward to get at, as there's not enough space to get a socket onto it - you really need an 18mm open spanner.
6) The gearbox has two mounts - one on the N/S, which is easy to get at from underneath...

7) ...and one on the O/S which is in a slightly different place and is a slightly different shape, but is also easiest to get at from underneath.
8 ) The last few things to disconnect were this earth-cable on the N/S gearbox casing...
9) ...the fuel-lines, which unclip from two points on the N/S of the engine (the pressure regulator and something else, which I haven't looked up to see what it is)...
10) ...and the power-steering lines - one came off easily, as it's just a jubilee clip, but the other is a brake-line type union, which had rusted solid and sheared as I unscrewed it - pain in the @rse...
11) I'd already decided to lift the engine and gearbox using two hoists - the good old chain-winch is lifting the gearbox, here.
12) The engine lifted away from the mounting points quite easily...

13) ...and keeping the chain-winch in sync lifted the whole engine/gearbox assembly out together.
14) I hadn't lifted it all high enough for the N/S gearbox mount to clear the front suspension tower - it also wouldn't clear the power-steering unit...
15) ...but, once high enough, I rolled the chassis out from under it...
16) ...and here's the engine/gearbox separate from the chassis - hoo-bl00dy-ray!
17) Getting it on a trailer to take it away and clean it was a massive faff, but here it is, ready to go - job done!

I'd made the mistake of thinking I could somehow manoeuvre my trailer under the engine while it was hanging from the engine hoist, but the hoist legs were in the way.  The solution was to spin the hoist around through 90 degrees, squeeze the trailer into the shed past the engine and come at it from the gearbox end - I should have thought of this beforehand, really...

Now, the order of the day is de-greasing and cleaning...er...hooray :(

My plan is to strip the steering, fuel-tank, fuel-lines, wiring and the last few brackets off the the old chassis, then remove the axles, which I decided to swap onto the new chassis rather than use the Tdci ones it has fitted already - my rear axle is a heavy-duty Salisbury unit and my front axle has nearly-new drive-shafts, bearings and swivel-joints...

At some point, I'm going to waxoyl the new chassis, too - I'll be doing it like this.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 07:46:46 PM by mudTerrain »