blackbsmoke and slappy gear changes! your thoughts.

· 2 · 1134

Scott110

blackbsmoke and slappy gear changes! your thoughts.
« on: August 07, 2016, 07:25:58 PM »
Hi
Just after your opinion befor I butcher the 90.
First thing is black smoke, only happens under hard acceleration just as the turbo starts spooling up. Once up to speed it runs clear. Has full standard 300tdi setup nothing molested yet. All I've done is oil and filter service.
Second thing is I go to change gear get a slapping noise on clutch down and clutch up.
As always advice appreciated.
Cheers
Scott
1988 Defender 110 300tdi. Bit of an animal.
1998 Defender 90 300tdi. The new pup.

EuanM

Re: blackbsmoke and slappy gear changes! your thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 08:06:13 AM »
How much black smoke is the question? Some black smoke is normal on turbo diesels when accelerating from below the turbo spooling rpm.  Basically it takes some time for the turbo to catch up with the throttle as it is driven by the exhaust - this is known as turbo lag. Accelerating from below the spooling rpm means not enough air is pushed into the engine for the amount of fuel being injected, the combustion temperature falls momentarily resulting in incomplete combustion. The harder the acceleration, the greater the drop off, the more black smoke. As the turbo spools, the amount of air increases and the black smoke reduces.  Anything that restricts the air flow like a minging air filter doesn't help.

Cannot help with the slappy gear changes.