Stage 1 help please

· 4 · 1395

Alasdair

• Name: Alasdair Campbell
Stage 1 help please
« on: August 02, 2016, 03:41:37 PM »
Hello all, my dads decided to part with his stage 1 and by that I mean giving it to me as he's no going to use how how he thought he would. Anyway I was reading on a few sites and I'm now wondering how to spot a fake one?

shug

• Name: Hugh Kay
Re: Stage 1 help please
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 04:45:56 PM »
I had a stage 1 109 station wagon many moons ago, cant remember if chassis number started differently but noticeable differences are de-tuned range rover v8, 4speed gearbox, vacume operated diff lock, much larger front drum brakes and double UJ on front prop if I remember. there good big wagons and tow well but there sore on the fuel .

hope this helps shug...

aqms987

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 09:01:29 PM »
 I believe the "de_tuning" was achieved by restrictors in the inlet manifold, these were readily removed & resulted in a marked improvement in performance but could result in brake fade if the brake horses were not reigned in!

Allan

EuanM

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 04:06:16 PM »
Most obvious difference is that the Stage 1 uses a LT95 gearbox (same as a range rover) and is full-time 4WD. It should not have the red and yellow levers on the transmission tunnel for 4WD and low range like a Series landie. The front propshaft should have a strange double UJ at the gearbox end.