Range Rover Classic Alternator failure

· 10 · 2345

3 coops

• RRC HCPU/ Disco 200TDI/Ser2SWB/RiceHorseBox
Range Rover Classic Alternator failure
« on: July 10, 2016, 07:35:33 PM »
I have 3.9 EFI Range Rover Classic, the alternator charges fine when first running, when warm it makes a wailing banshee noise and then it charges less and less and then goes into discharge, knackered alternator?

I only ask as I swapped it for a known good one which now does the same thing after a  few dozen miles or so. i am wondering if something else had caused it to fail?

Many thanks,

Coop
VERY FOND OF WEISSBIER

OldJocksRustbucket

Re: Range Rover Classic Alternator failure
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 08:43:01 PM »
Hi Coop, check if the belt tensions ok?

3 coops

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 08:52:55 PM »
Yep, happy with that.

Just not sure if something might be causing the new one to fail. I think I will pick another alternator up tomorrow and see what happens.

thanks

coop
VERY FOND OF WEISSBIER

piper5

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 10:15:12 PM »
put a meter on the battery and check its charging around 14volts, if the regulator is away it will draw more currently and slow the alternator down causing squealing belts but will show high volts 16-17 etc.
im not familiar with classics but presume its a standard lucas alternator like a defender, do rangerovers have the voltage regulator behind the clocks as well?

3 coops

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 11:07:19 PM »
The meter reads a healthy 14+ volts just after starting from cold, as soon as engine warms up the alternator starts whining and the voltage starts to drop down to around 12+ volts and stays there. It is standard lucas.
VERY FOND OF WEISSBIER

OldJocksRustbucket

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 10:18:35 PM »
Hi Coop could just be a dodgy alternator, I just replaced one a few months ago it was an exchange unit, I went through 4 before I got one that worked good, I just remembered when I read pipers post one of the faulty ones I fitted almost stalled the alternator and it ripped the belt to shreds after squealing for a bit, from memory the regulators etc are all contains within the regulator, only other thing is to check the engine earth strap, good luck
Jock

3 coops

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 04:29:57 PM »
New alternator fitted, runs well, charges fine, for about five mins, then squeels and shrieks and stops charging.

Noise starts about when the engine reaches working temp.

Old belt had bits of teeth pulled off it.

Starts suddenly, like something switching on or off.

All suggestions welcomed.

Coop
VERY FOND OF WEISSBIER

piper5

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 06:09:06 PM »
a high electrical draw could cause that, when it happens the charge will jump up to 15-16 volts almost stalling the alternator due to high charge current.
just a thought does the starter disengage ok?

piper5

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2016, 09:49:10 PM »
could it be cooling fan or ac fan related, you say it happens suddenly when engine reaches temp

3 coops

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 09:33:47 AM »
So, many pots of tea later . . .

1  Historically I had noticed that there was a short whirring sound and then a click from under the dash board somewhere. It made this noise whatever position the heater controls were in. This was shortly after start up.

2  The car was stood for over a year.

3  After an engine transplant the car was driven for around ten miles. When the heater was tried it only worked on full and then smoked a bit and died. The heater fuse and relay were pulled and all was well, and cold.

I am now going to pull the plug which connects the heater to the loom lest something is shorting.

Question: Is there only one plug into the loom for the heater and any clues where it might be?

I have the Haynes manual for a schematic of the loom.

As always answers welcome.

Coop
VERY FOND OF WEISSBIER