Diagnostic advice

· 10 · 2570

Chris81

Diagnostic advice
« on: May 04, 2016, 11:14:49 PM »
Hi folks,

I'm a long time lurker on this forum, but after a gap of about 12 years I've finally taken the plunge and picked myself up a 2007 110 station wagon. Now the novelty of heated seats and power steering has worn off the poor thing has developed a bizarre problem with the alarm/immobiliser and central locking.
From some online research I think that replacing the door and bonnet switches will get to the root of the problem, but I know that a good diagnostic system would make fault finding a whole lot quicker.

I really like the look of the nanocom, but I see there are a few others out there too. Is there any particular system that has an advantage over the rest? I'm intending keeping this car for the long run so treating it as a potential timesaver. Less time with the multimeter, more time driving!

Cheers in advance folks, hope to get to meet some of you over the next while.

Chris

piper5

Re: Diagnostic advice
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 07:55:46 AM »
ive been reading lots about diagnostics recently and the general opinion seems to be for the hawkeye unit just now, nanocom was brilliant for the early model used with td5 but now the nanocom seems locked for a few things, there is another from icarsoft or simliar name but it gets mixed reviews some folk saying it wouldnt talk to their car.
i had a hawkeye but sold it along with my disco three, now wishing i had kept it.

Chris81

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 09:02:36 AM »
I'll go and read up on the hawkeye a bit more. It looked a bit clunky but really effective on the two videos I watched on YouTube earlier

Out of interest what's the name of the system the dealers use and are there any laptop based systems on the market? I've got vcds for my other vag group car which is brilliant.

Chris81

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 02:12:38 PM »
Sorry for the bump!

Was it the basic Hawkeye you had? Just noticed the price difference jumping up to the pro.

Sadly I'm going to have to get myself something, my alarm has gone bananas and I want to see what the alarm ecu is up to.

Yep.... Welcome back to land rivers Chris :)

piper5

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 04:59:46 PM »
just the 250 quid one does everything you want for the model you specifiy, get expensive if you open it to other models

vag_landy

• Name: Greg Leighton
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 07:37:31 PM »
I've got the terrafirma tf930 which I bought for my previous defender td5 but it wouldn't talk to its Ecu  , but worked on my friends td5 90 and disco. Now got it on my puma and its brilliant for displaying engine fault codes, live data but recently found its limitations on talking to ABS system. I have now bought a Hawkeye for this feature and also the power bleed, manual test features for injectors and egr valves. Waiting to collect it from my local bearmach dealer Kev. In reflection the terrafirma/ icarsoft unit is cheap and cheerful doesn't have unlock codes so should in theory work with most new models but does have limitations on manually testing actuators and talking to my particular ABS system. Quick note but the Ecu in the Pumas should talk to most generic engine code readers (only reads engine codes) as its EOBD compliant and works with my cheap eBay Bluetooth fault code reader with my iPhone and eobd free app.

If your local you can try them out to see what suits.

Greg
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90

Chris81

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 07:14:57 PM »
Hi Greg,

It'd be great to have a look before purchase, I'm in Glasgow.... Not sure if I'm close!

vag_landy

• Name: Greg Leighton
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 12:52:15 AM »
I'm out by Balloch Loch Lomond, so not far. Do you have a td5 or puma ?

Greg
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90

ruaritreble

• ruariboy
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 01:12:39 PM »
I've used the early nanocom which was good, but for programming you had to then plug in a laptop.
I bought the hawkeye, note that they are coded for the defender or for the disco, it won't do both unless you get another unlock code. It is a bit bigger and chunkier, but it gives loads of info. A few wee quirks like when in low box it tells you high & vice versa. It's understanding the data. I plugged mine into my mates 110 and took a list of details of his readings to compare it.
You can do system tests, injectors is a pulse signal, so you will hear it click. Run fuel pump, fuel gauge. etc etc.

Ruari
Karis 110 - The perfect way to get a MTB to the top of the hill.
Power to the pedal!

Myrtle Air Portable - V8
------------------------
MM6IIO
------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/ruariboy

http://s826.photobucket.com/home/ruariboy

mudTerrain

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 04:37:01 PM »
Hello,

do you know what protocol the early Td5's use?  Presumably it's some sort of CAN bus, but is it encoded in some way so that only LR kit is supposed to be able to read it?

You can get pretty cheap CAN bus modules for Arduino's/R-Pi's etc online - I fancy knocking together a simple code reader, but how tricky is it to decode the LR data?

Any thoughts would be welcome :)