Front Recovery Points

· 9 · 2265

AndyO

• Name: Andy O
Front Recovery Points
« on: April 17, 2016, 08:47:13 PM »
Hi,

Looking for some advice...
I have a 90 with A-bar/spots and a steering guard but no front recovery points so looking for some advice on available options which don't involve changing either the A-bar or steering guard. I have jate rings on the back but fairly sure there is no way to mount them on the front as the steering guard uses the mount holes.
Am I asking the impossible without getting something welded to the chassis or something sticking out and being really bad news for pedestrians? (Not that an A-bar is that friendly!)

Any help is much appreciated.

P.s. I did toy with a 2 legged brother type recovery sling onto the front axel but that's maybe more of a temporary thing?

piper5

Re: Front Recovery Points
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 04:56:02 AM »
change bumper for a military one, looks exactly the same but has a towing pin in the middle

weetoddy

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 10:40:24 AM »
Depending on the type of stealing guard you have you may still be able to fit jate rings , my steering guard had a gap for the jate ring to go through and still bolted through the same hole .

Cheers Iain
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a broken fan belt and leaky engine

AndyO

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 08:43:05 AM »
Cheers for the input guys. Can't remember where but I'm sure I read the military type bumper is for road towing/light recovery, don't know if there's any truth in that? I'm pretty sure my steering guard won't allow jates short of getting a grinder out...

Thanks again

Trendytrev

• Name: Trevor Shields
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 07:20:37 PM »
Hi Andy,
I simply drilled new holes in front chassis for Jate rings, which I believe is standard practice. No issues with RTV scrutineer.
Trevor
D2 TD5
88" coil v8 trials motor

Dave T

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 05:46:34 PM »
The trouble with jate rings is they can easily elongate the holes they go through which I have seen on a few chassis, this of course could easily accelerate if the chassis is a little rusty. I wonder also if the genuine holes have tubes inside to stop you crushing the chassis? Personally I would not be drilling quite large holes, which can easily elongate, through a chassis
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

Greigboy

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 10:39:15 PM »
I wonder also if the genuine holes have tubes inside to stop you crushing the chassis? Personally I would not be drilling quite large holes, which can easily elongate, through a chassis

The original holes do have a tube running between them, and I wouldn't just drill a couple of holes to re-site a recovery point
1986 Land Rover 90 CSW V8

AndyO

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 09:47:33 PM »
Was having a look at bumper options and came across this military style but without all the military specific holes similar to piper 5's suggestion.

Anyone used one or have any thoughts?
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=291743722854&globalID=EBAY-GB

Once again thanks for all the input!