Series 2/2A/3 chassis to body.

· 3 · 1518

Spanielzrus

• Name: Alexander Thomson
Series 2/2A/3 chassis to body.
« on: March 21, 2016, 09:47:11 PM »
Can anyone advise if it is possible to fit a series 3 bulkhead/body onto a series 2/2A Chassis.  Any modifications required?  Any major drawbacks?   Other than the differences in the dash layout are the Ser 3 bulkheads compatible with earlier 2/2A body panels?  Thanks for any constructive advice/critisism  ;D

cenemc

Re: Series 2/2A/3 chassis to body.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 10:26:49 PM »
Series 3 bulkhead will fit onto the Series 2 chassis the same as the Series 2 bulkhead did, but the windscreen has different hinge point between S2 & S3 so you would either need to fit the S3 windscreen or make some sort of adaptors up.
The S3 tub will fit on the S2 chassis at the rear OK, at the front the chassis tabs are not quite in the right place so again adaptors.
Panels forward of the bulkhead and the seatbox will fit.
Doors are much the same but retainer straps are different.
The transmission cover and floor plates will need to be the ones to match the era of bulkhead / gearbox & engine.

Drawbacks, you end up with a thing that is a bit of this a bit of that and neither of other so is worth less.

What are you trying to achieve?
What is wrong with your S2 bulkhead? Is it rotten?
If you just prefer the S3 dash, why not have an S3 instead of the S2?

HTH.

Spanielzrus

• Name: Alexander Thomson
Re: Series 2/2A/3 chassis to body.
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 09:44:07 AM »
Great reply, thanks.

After reading I came to the conclusion that my question was a bit back to front.  I have been considering an offer of a series 2 rolling chassis with a 2.25 petrol 5mb fitted.

There is also the option of a series 3 swb with a rotten chassis and bulkhead.  The thought was to aquire a new/refurbished ser 3 bulkhead and fit the series 3 body to the s2 chassis.

If the series  2 chassis is similar enough to the Series 3 then I would be looking to 'resurect' the series 3.

I'm not looking to bypass any DVLA tax exemptions or such like.  It's a series 3 I'm after.  Just wanted to know if the s2 chassis would be usable.  Conversely if anyone out there has a series 2 body I would consider that also.

Thanks again.