Help please, trying to locate 1958 family series 2 Landrover owned 41 years

· 2 · 886

kennyjthomson

• Name: Kenneth Thomson
Hi,
Hope it's ok to post this.

I'm struggling to locate our old Landie which I'd like to locate and request first offer on when the current owner comes to sell.
I've tried via DVLA but they are not allowed to help. Had several reg changes (used as recovery vehicle) so difficult to track and don't know current reg.
I'll try and add a picture but last seen paint red and had distinctive additional chrome rimed headlights on the wings which my Dad fitted. More info below:

Land Rover SU 8638

Additional information for section 4.

The Land Rover was first registered in 1958 as SU 8638 (from memory, but fairly certain).

It was initially owned by my father in law, Allan Smith of Drumsleed Farm, Fordoun, in Kincardineshire.  I bought it from him in 1972 to use as a recovery vehicle in my business, Auchenblae Motors. 

This ownership will appear on the registration documents from 1972 until it was sold in 2001 to 20th Century Classics Ltd of Newtonhill, near Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire.

The Land Rover was fitted with various engines over the year, the last known to have been a Ford V6 3000cc.  The colour was originally green, then blue, and last known to be red.

During my father’s ownership and while it was being used as a recovery vehicle it ran on trade plates for many years before being issued with the HSU 228 recovery vehicle number. Prior to selling the Land Rover my father removed this number and it  is now used by my sister on her car.. We have no idea what the present number might be.

We have been in touch with the former owner of 20th Century Classics who sold the vehicle on so it may not appear in the logbook.  He remembers that it was a Mr. L. Hodgkinson who bought it, but had no other details.

We would really like to make contact with the current owner with the view to buying back the vehicle which obviously holds many fond memories within our family. 

25th August 2015

kennyjthomson

• Name: Kenneth Thomson
Pic of Landie with my Dad, our old Dog and me