fuel additives

· 5 · 1449

Swampy

fuel additives
« on: March 03, 2016, 09:07:12 PM »
Been having few little issues with my TD5 defender, smoking when engine cold(black smoke) had a fuel leak which has been fixed but went to use car this morning, started fine but cut out when attempting to move off and would not start.  Seemed to be starved of fuel.  Switched ignition on off half dozen times and pumped accelerator. This eventually got it going, pumped out fair bit of blue black fumes, took it for a run and all seeems good.  Has been serviced on regular basis mot last Sept no issues.  What are people's thoughts on fuel additives to clean injectors can you recommend any, what difference if any did they make and did any of them cause more problems?

Thanks in advance for replies.

John

rangerovering

Re: fuel additives
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 10:34:06 PM »
Used Wurth fuel additive with good results, I am told the injector cleaners are good too.

Might be worth getting the injectors checked? They do start to deteriorate after 100k miles usually
Steve

Greigboy

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 05:51:58 AM »
Forte diesel treatment is good stuff, I used to fill a new fuel filter with it and it gave the injectors a good blast and also put another bottle in the tank, it made a noticeable difference to mine.
1986 Land Rover 90 CSW V8

piper5

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 08:39:07 AM »
i second forte, used it for years great stuff, actually tested it at a mates garage on a smoke test big drop after adding it

Swampy

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 02:06:03 PM »
cheers guys will get on it at the weekend
  :-[