Galvanising a used chassis?

· 4 · 1547

Mike

Galvanising a used chassis?
« on: January 18, 2016, 07:13:09 PM »
Can it be done to prevent any future corrosion /rust issues, or is it a case of one the chassis has started rusting, it cant be done?

konads

Re: Galvanising a used chassis?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 07:00:33 AM »
I've had a used chassis done, but it was in very good condition.

It'll need to be shot blasted and acid dipped which will clean up the outside, but that won't take paint/rust off the inside of the rails. The zinc won't bond with paint or rust, needs to be clean steel.

It comes down to how good your chassis is - the company doing the work should be able to advise you, but if its in any way crusty I wouldn't bother personally.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 07:02:20 AM by konads »

shug

• Name: Hugh Kay
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 11:17:25 AM »
Agree with last post it's not just rust and paint on the inside of chassis, you also get a build up of mud and other crap which stays damp and causes the corrosion on the inside. I have cut open chassis for repair and found a couple of inches of muck in the bottom, shot blasting and acid dipping won't shift that . so unless its good condition and clean on the inside you would do just as good a job with paint and waxoil .

hope this helps shug...

Dave T

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 12:34:26 PM »
I have cut open chassis for repair and found a couple of inches of muck in the bottom,

not mine you are talking about.....  ??? ::)
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite