200tdi transplant

· 5 · 1551

landytd5

• Name: Howard Berriman
200tdi transplant
« on: October 17, 2015, 05:55:40 PM »
I have a 200 tdi and manual gearbox in my off roader and would like to change to auto. I had planned a 300 tdi auto conversion this winter but have the option of a complete and running low mileage 3.9 v8 auto Disco and am looking for advice regarding this conversion. I am happy to tackle issues with moving mounts, radiator, exhaust etc but I would imagine there will be some major wiring issues with injection system and possibly the immobiliser which I am not confident with! any info / advice would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 06:18:15 PM by landytd5 »

red 90

Re: 200tdi transplant
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 08:24:14 PM »
hi, if you are going for a 3.9i unit, there are 2 video's on you tube, one is titled 'my 3.9 rover V8' project and the other is called' rover 3.9 v8 hotwire' both give an insight to doing the wiring.
I have just stripped out a 3.9i engine with auto box to fit into my defender and find them helpful especially the hot wire video.
good luck.
ian

Greigboy

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 09:15:28 PM »
Or go carburettor, simpler and easier to repair and it cuts out the wiring and electrics, which are never a good idea on an off roader.
1986 Land Rover 90 CSW V8

rangerovering

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 12:38:44 AM »
So long as the air flow meter and water temp sensor are working correctly Hotwire is very very reliable and will run even without the air flow meter (which is how most of the faulty ones arent picked up).

4 wires: Ignition switched live, Permanent live, Coil Negative and earth are all it needs to run.
Steve

bob

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 08:29:53 PM »
I have the option of a complete and running low mileage 3.9 v8 auto Disco

The fist thing to say is DO IT!!!!

You will become hooked on the smooth power delivery from nothing and then there's the noise  8) ;D
As some folk will tell you its not the exhaust note you hear, its the fuel pump emptying the tank...LOL

But to be serious, The conversion is simple but keep the disco 'till the jobs done and of course you also get a free disc braked back axle...

Of the top of my head you will need the following from the Disco (in addition to the engine and box):

Front exhaust Y piece
Front Xmember (bent tubular one)
complete wiring loom from the engine to the ECU and both half's of the connectors to the disco body loom (located beside where the clutch pedal would be). Take as much of the disco loom as possible as it makes it easier to integrate into the 90.
Engine mounts
gearbox mounts
Autobox shifter and cable. When you remove it, disconnect at the gearbox end and it makes the refitting easy!

Depending on how old the disco is, it may have cats in the Y piece, these can be removed but you should change the "tune" resistor so the ECU knows not to look for them.

You will also have to modify the transmission tunnel and seat box to "create" clearance. You can use a 300tdi or TD5 bulkhead plate, transmission tunnel and seatbox (if you can find them!)

Hope this is of some help and if you are near Edinburgh and would like to see one that was done recently, let me know.

Bob