Is my Rear Diff knackered......?

· 7 · 1769

Mikey

Is my Rear Diff knackered......?
« on: October 11, 2015, 07:22:33 PM »
Evenin',

Has anybody had a problem where the rear wheels drive at slightly different speeds?
There's been a vibration when drving for a little while and, more recently, I've felt that when taking a long bend at around 60 the back end has felt 'loose'.
Also I have a lot more tyre noise now when I have the window down (I've used Michelin XZLs for years.)
I thought the rear shocks may need changing, so I did that yesterday but noticed the rear O/S tyre is worn considerably more than the N/S tyre.

My adding together of Vibration + Tyre wear + loose feeling on bends = back end problems....?

It's on a 110, with a Salisbury axle, not the other type where I can drop off the diff fron the front of it.

Any help appreciated.

Mike.
Mikey.
1985 110 CSW, 300Tdi fitted.
1993 Classic LSE, V8 LPG.

aqms987

Re: Is my Rear Diff knackered......?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 08:06:22 PM »
 Worth while draining the oil, removing the rear pan/cover & having a "shufti" ie a look. A lot easier if you have access to a pit or hoist but axle stands would do. Worth checking the rear wheel bearings for excess play etc at the same time or even better check them first! Not unknown for rear hub bearings to fail with little warning.

Buffalo Bill

• Name: Bill Conner
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 08:52:57 PM »
I would start with checking wheel bearings.
1989 110
1990 90
1988 90
1972 V8 WOOP WOOP

piper5

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 08:29:56 AM »
More likely to be a bush allowing the whole axle to move go round all the rear bushes a frame ball joint etc with a pry bar see if there's much movement it may not be obvious when it's sitting on its wheels

Dave T

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 12:22:13 PM »
stupid question but I've heard of worse, the diff lock is out isn't it?
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

Mikey

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 07:20:31 PM »
Had a shuftie today and nothing much to say...
Did find that my front O/S wheel hub-nut needed a slight tighten, rears seem okay but might revisit them.
Rear Diff looks to be in good condition, oil was clean and no bits of anything in the bottom of the axle case, and everything seems to turn freely.
A-frame ball joint could probably do with replacing, which may be the cornering issue but I don't think that would cause the driving vibrations or tyre wear.
And Dave, I did check the diff-lock, not a stupid question as I was using it on my last job in low with the diff locked a few times.

A freind who knows about these things has suggested it may all be down to tyres. I might try to borrow a set of decent wheels and swap them all and see what happens.

Thanks.

Mikey.
1985 110 CSW, 300Tdi fitted.
1993 Classic LSE, V8 LPG.

aqms987

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 10:41:03 PM »
 I suggest the next logical step in the "process of elimination" might be the prop shaft sliding yoke seized ie not sliding freely or worn to excess, prop U/Js seizing or worn. You would need to disconnect the shaft to check it thoroughly. I would suggest that both shafts should be checked as noise/vibration/harshness can be transmitted along the shafts giving a false indication of location.