Solar panel

· 4 · 1182

3 coops

• RRC HCPU/ Disco 200TDI/Ser2SWB/RiceHorseBox
Solar panel
« on: September 19, 2015, 09:05:13 PM »
Does anyone know anything about solar panels for vehicles?

I am thinking of putting one next to the roof tent on my disco.

I have a space about four foot square to play with.

I am unsure how many watts might be enough?

I intend to run some lighting and possibly a stereo off a single leisure battery which will fit under the bonnet on the opposite side from the main vehicle battery.

I am also concerned about the panel getting hit by tree's and stones etc.

Any advice welcome.

coop
VERY FOND OF WEISSBIER

lurch032003

Re: Solar panel
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 11:58:57 PM »
Hi mate , I have two big panels in top of the Motorhome which go through a solar splitter box so it charges the battery's and supply power, the panels them selfs just trickle charge the battery's  but would suggest it would be better if you got a split charge from your engine when it's run to charge the battery up and you get the biggest amp her leasure battery you can get as cheap and cheerful don't last if you can afford it get a gel one far better and last longer.
For general use id a 12v light and a radio they will last a good few hrs easy depends on what or how much you use them, led build fitting best for your lights , radio try get a simple easy use which requires little energy as normal car radio will drain them quick.
Fir example I had two 14x14 inch panels hock up to the solar splitter then to a battery inside my mother log cabin which ran a 12v car heater during the night to stop the water inside freezing up in the pots containing her flowers(she's a florist works from home) it worked really well.
I'm now in process of removing them and going to use them to run the wee heater and to trickle charge the battery's in my garage and to run a pir 12v security light .
As fir damage its glass so basically any and all on a Landy required! If you can afford it the suitcase type would be good to wire up once your stopped but not fitted always to risky on a Landy .
But I stick to my original answer get a split charge unit fir the Landy so while driving it gets charged up all the time and ready fir use plus it's cheaper.
Hth
Oh if you want to see the solar set up, come by your most welcome can show you both set up .
John

3 coops

• RRC HCPU/ Disco 200TDI/Ser2SWB/RiceHorseBox
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 08:12:37 PM »
Many thanks for the comprehensive reply.

I have have many dark winter nights to come up with a plan!

Thanks again,

coop
VERY FOND OF WEISSBIER

Navigator

• Discovery 4 Causeway
  • Name: Stuart Clink
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 11:51:47 AM »
Solar panel recently added to my caravan and impressed by performance. Biggest job it has is to recharge the 110Ah battery after the motor mover has been used to hitch up the 'van so that the mover can be used again when unhitching. No idea on the current required by the mover but the cables in use are starter motor thickness. Panel seems to cope fine, and control unit shows it making electricity even on a dull day.
Navigator          GM1VBE