lurch032003

Re: 2015 and start of new happenings what's yours?
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2015, 10:39:21 PM »
Hi mate, yes still alive and kicking with one foot lol other is still bad,sore walking etc plus how knackered I get very quick from any exertion so things take rather long to do, just glad there's a year between mots lol takes me that long to prepair them all .
I have more scans etc due plus now they also want to look at my lower spin for damage  :o as had been examined and so back to orthopaedics I go , I seen more of the inside of a hospital being ill than when I was a nurse many moons ago lol.

How are things with yourself?

John

lurch032003

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2015, 04:51:01 PM »
Thought I give a wee update with good and bad news, first the good I finally received two letter from the DVLA first was the amended V5 stating my S3 is now a historic vehicle woo hoo and the second one was basically a apology stating its now officially recorded on there system as I am the owner.
Bad news is I still don't have the engine fixed right , she blows out blue smoke when under load but nothing on idle since I found the oil filter seal was leaking it stop the white irregular puffs of white smoke , I going to retry re tightening the cylinder head bolts, re do the timing tappets and readjust the fuel injector pump as somewhere in the depths of my mind I'm sure it's being over fuelled , the cylinder pressure checks showed no difference in any of them +-3 on each , bar strip the head off and check the exhaust/inlet valves and replace them all and fit a new cylinder head gasket again I'm stumped! I was offered a engine for nothing but yet to have this happen due to communications lacking to arranging a suitable time but hope this will still will happen as this will get her back on the road again as she has sat in the driveway since dec and I'm losing faith I will get her on the road again at this rate. If anyone has advice or has the mechanical skills to come and help I can offer free tea/coffee and the chance of a chin wag or possible parts in exchange for help. Just pm me or write up here advice please
Cheers
John

lurch032003

« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2015, 10:36:46 PM »
 :) :) :) :) :) massive thanks to nick h and dad fir there kind help in helping me out with a engine, was nice to meet you both and look forward to your visit over to me one time for a wee rummage , I got back okay but the engine decided it waited long enough and wanted a pee all over the back of my borrowed vehicle of my mother's and onto the drive till I manage to get the oil basin out lol now to give it a check over and see if I can get her fired up before fitting so once again cheers guys and everyone else who contacted me.
John
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 10:38:38 PM by lurch032003 »

lurch032003

« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2015, 10:05:56 PM »
Was up today to get started on the engine, first off rummage around garage and found the flywheel and its housing from the 2:25 I had originally and got it fitted no problem onto the 2.5n/a engine so that was a big thumbs up, next was a clean and fitting of parts and checking those fitted and mounting it onto the engine stand. I ended up using 4 shackles from suspension to bolt to the fly wheel housing then to the engine mount plate as one that came with it where no good to man or beast.
So now a big step nearer and hope possibly her fired up tomorrow to give her a test to ensure all is good on her.
Tried to post a pic but there to big sorry will get on of and get them resized fir posting or put on a link to view them.
Cheers
John
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 11:26:57 PM by lurch032003 »

lurch032003

« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2015, 11:39:02 PM »
A link to some recent pics of everything lol

http://s1367.photobucket.com/user/lurch032003/slideshow/

Cheers
John

lurch032003

« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2015, 08:22:48 AM »
Well today I hope to have the old 2:25 stripped out and onto the engine stand ready fir a complete overhaul. I have the 2:5 ready to hoist in and start modifying the chassis etc to fit that in as dispite alot if conflicting information as to what can and cannot be fitted to a 2/5n/a from a 2:25 diesel I found 99:9% is a straight swap and fit .
I still got to find out how to mount the drivers side engine mount to the chassis as again confusion as to how this is done or can be done . If anyone has done it and can advise or post pics this will be great help. My other things I have to work out is the throttle linkage and that is one I will work out once I have it fitted as have a few idears but can't see which will work till its in.
Anyways that's what I'm up too and hope to have done in next month as weather and health decide the time scale .
Anyways post up what you have done or doing.
Cheers
John

lurch032003

« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2015, 11:27:00 PM »
More progress made,cleaned all the engine bay and pressured washed it all including the gear box,ni then got out my mix of oil and undercoat paint and proceeded to give the whole bay and springs a good coating of it all, today (Sunday) I cut out the battery box and chopped of the drivers side engine mount and treated it all with my trusty rust solution ,I also made a new brake pipe length as I managed to cut it lol  also dug out a safety switch I bought ages ago which will now be the switch fir the fuel solinod and will be anther step in being done to start or stop the engine. All I need now is a dry day when swmbo is working to have enough time to hoist the engine into the Landy to line up where the engine mount needs to be and weld it into position then drop the engine in and start fitting everything on and fingers crossed once the key is turned it starts and is all okay .
Phew I'm knackered just thinking about it , I have had fun doing this swap as found that there isn't really a lot of info on fitting a 2.5 n/a into a landrover series 3 or series 2.2a or whatever Landy so have found on the web and from peps a lot of conflicting information on how it's done,what can be fitted from the Series. 2:25 engine onto the 2.5 and how it's done so there been a lot of reading between the lines , eye strain looking at pics to see things.
I hope my ramblings about it have helped or amused peps reading this and can follow my way of writing and my poor spelling lol.
I will load up pics and post a link so you can see the latest pics I have , I will take more soon of bits and bobs if the engine while it still out so closer pics of bits can be seen easier to help folk who have or going to do same or similar .
Anyways that's me fir now you never know next time I might be saying she's running !!! Keep thise fingers crossed and please post what your doing please as just reading what I put is boring lol.
Here's a link to some more pics hope it works .
http://s1367.photobucket.com/user/lurch032003/library/

« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 11:45:51 PM by lurch032003 »

prof-pat-pending

• Name: nick
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2015, 09:11:28 PM »
Hope you get it ready for gent's doo
Big John is looking forward to seeing you
life is but a journey from birth to death - why rush ?
run a series landie and take your time
http://cumbriaclassiclandrovers.createaforum.com/index.php

lurch032003

« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2015, 09:13:05 PM »

Hope you get it ready for gent's doo
Big John is looking forward to seeing you
Gents doo??
Not sure what that is , the sept gathering at genes? If so I hope so, today been productive as has past few days, have cut the chassis mount off and treated that and the other mount to a antitrust treatment and is ready to be welded on once engine is placed for it to be marked up. A quick kill switch has been fitted to the dash to act as the fuel solinod power on off fir engine just to wire that to the battery and to the solinod once engine fitted, I cut out the battery tray also in prep and have enough space after to fit the oil bath filter ,the thermostat housing has been swapped over so has the exhaust manifold, the engine bay been treated with a mix of old oil and under seal mix , and today I fiddled about to make the throttle link and think I have come up with a possible idear as in practice it does work by hand, I took the top support of a old fuel injection pump and fitted it to the n/a part next to the throttle pump using a cable I had from a previous time , I will try add pic or link as having more luck putting link up than pics lol
Anyways I'm just waiting on a good day to get the engine put in as need a full dry day but tomorrow going to run the cables to and from under the passenger seat for the battery and get that fitted also.
Well I'm getting there slow but sure.
Cheers
John

http://s1367.photobucket.com/user/lurch032003/media/image.jpg2_zpsbm9ysooo.jpg.html
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 09:15:13 PM by lurch032003 »

lurch032003

« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2015, 10:12:13 PM »
Here's a we link to some more pics sorry for the bad drawing of the throttle linkage sizes but between getting soaked and rushing trying to set up a pic for my mother and explain how it works , well let's say I've done a hell of a lot better but enjoy anyways , I haven't managed much due to the weather either, but decided since I'm going to fit the battery under the passenger seat and a previous owner had badly cut a hole fir a speaker I decided to square it of and fit a hinged front to it so can get access to the battery and junk that will end up under neath the passenger seat , I have still to fit a bracket to hold it in place and run the cables , but getting there will take pics of that when it done also .
Anyways again sorry for the poor drawing lol
John

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r791/lurch032003/4ab624c1-08c0-43f3-9165-492571b0c440_zpsyqfp3pbb.jpg

lurch032003

« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2015, 09:18:59 PM »
Well the engine is in and the drivers side mount welded in place, then went about fitting up the fuel lines it was like a higher advance exam trying to sort it all , finding the right fittings to start with was a challenge, then digging out 3 spair injectors pumps  to harvest for there connections and then make up new lines took most of day but got there in the end, fitted rear hose connection for heater again had to hunt for the right thread fitting for it as was blanked off  originally on it.
Next was throttle linkage which still to be sorted but have sat down with pen and paper to work out how as had neighbour poke his nose in which totally hampered my thoughts of how and gave up, so I cleaned up as it was the only way he would take the hint to p-of. !
so tomorrow afternoon I hope to have the linkage made up and fitted and see if it will work as I have planed in my head but this time have drawn it down in case he returns again tomorrow but I will polite and tell him to f-of this time lol I really can't stand the guy he knows nothing about cars he can't even change a wheel 🔩
Anyways back to it tomorrow, I'm so close Now to starting her fingers crossed .

lurch032003

« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2015, 06:41:21 PM »
Well still not running  :'( the cav injector pump because it didn't come with the right fittings I had to make do with what I could find and fit, well I should of checked closely as I put in a return valve to fuel inlet so no fuel was getting into the pump !!!  :o well after fixing that I got fuel going into the pump but then wasn't coming out to the injectors  :o ??? ??? So out with air gun blew out the fittings and forgot how to put them back in right ??? So does anyone have a pick how the fuel feed parts go back in ?? I have the connection pipe,then spring,filter,pump valve,a valve piston , valve spring and then a small thin spring but what order do they get refitted?? So when the engine is turned over I get fuel to the injectors because that's all that is stopping as far as I can see from it starting so any help wil be gratefully received .
Cheers
John

lurch032003

« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2015, 12:19:45 PM »
Well still not running  :'( the cav injector pump because it didn't come with the right fittings I had to make do with what I could find and fit, well I should of checked closely as I put in a return valve to fuel inlet so no fuel was getting into the pump !!!  :o well after fixing that I got fuel going into the pump but then wasn't coming out to the injectors  :o ??? ??? So out with air gun blew out the fittings and forgot how to put them back in right ??? So does anyone have a pick how the fuel feed parts go back in ?? I have the connection pipe,then spring,filter,pump valve,a valve piston , valve spring and then a small thin spring but what order do they get refitted?? So when the engine is turned over I get fuel to the injectors because that's all that is stopping as far as I can see from it starting so any help wil be gratefully received .
Cheers
John
Hi all just to say I got a pic from fellow Landy owner on the S2c club forum so hopefully may get it started now and with a fully charged battery which should help also as for some reason a flat battery doesn't help ????? Lol
Anyways thanks
John

lurch032003

« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2015, 08:16:10 PM »
Aaaaaaaahhhhhhh I'm ready to scream no matter what I can't get the pump to inject fuel up to the injectors , its got no air in it and finally also fixed the problem of it poor turn over was a knackered starter and once swapped over the dufferance was night and day, I will see if with this now turning over at a good rate if this will help finally billed the injector pump but that's anther day now as git other stuff planned,
Quick question is it possible to use a 2:25 injector on it can it be done ??
I have a 2:5 injector pump spare fir my talbot express 2:5 Diesel engine I wonder if that would fit ???
At any rate I think the pump is duff as it been three straight days of different combinations of checking the Feds to it and making sure its assembled correct way fir fuel but all to have it not pump fuel to engine is just had me scratch my head too much so watch this space for what solution I use next lol
Laters
John

Dave C

• Name: Dave C
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2015, 09:26:24 PM »
Hi John,
Have you tried the blead screw on top of the pump to remove the air, had the same problem until I used the small screw.

Dave