Recaro seats

· 9 · 1666

aqms987

Recaro seats
« on: November 06, 2014, 09:40:57 PM »

For info. I have just fitted a set of Recaro seats ex a Vectra in my 110 TDCI. They came complete with motors to raise/lower the seat height.
 I used the Vectra seat frames modified to fit the L/R seat mountings. I now have full reclining seats with height adjustment as well. It was a very neat fit to enable the L/R seat belts to be utilised.  The seats came out of a Vectra which was being scrapped so the price was right!
 A worthwhile mod. giving more comfort.

swoop2

• Name: alex sneddon
Re: Recaro seats
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 10:07:13 AM »
After my 90 failed the MOT for no forward/back movement on the drivers seat recently (bodged up astra seats fitted)i toured the local scrappy and found a seat of leather heated seats from a ford streetka that fitted with a little help of the angle grinder! Couldnt argue at £50 taken out for me. Just a heads up that drivers seats need to be adjustable according to my MOT tester.

aqms987

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 09:31:53 PM »
 My adaption of the original Vectra seat mounts means that the seats have the full range of adjustment in the L/R that they had in the Vectra.
 Your point is however well made as many seat installations in older vehicles were not adjustable leading to problems with changing drivers.
 There will however be issues with air-portable/light-weight landrovers which did not have seat adjustment when they originally left the factory although later versions did. I assume that original design characteristics must be accepted for test purposes.

Sooty

• been there winched that
  • Name: mike robertson
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 11:14:10 PM »
After my 90 failed the MOT for no forward/back movement on the drivers seat recently (bodged up astra seats fitted)i toured the local scrappy and found a seat of leather heated seats from a ford streetka that fitted with a little help of the angle grinder! Couldnt argue at £50 taken out for me. Just a heads up that drivers seats need to be adjustable according to my MOT tester.

id be finding a different MOT tester,

my seats are adjustable, they are adjusted to suit me & my short legs & tough to anyone taller than me that wants to drive it
Started out with nothing,
Still have most of it left

swoop2

• Name: alex sneddon
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 08:15:52 PM »
Agreed Sooty , i have the same problem , blocks on the pedals are so uncool and no doubt another MOT fail point!

aqms987

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 09:21:24 PM »
 The test standards are laid down for the tester to apply, it is not a discretionary issue. Should the tester be found not to have complied with the
 laid down standards then he risks disciplinary action which could ultimately lead to loss of his authority to conduct tests.
 It is part of the supervision of MOT testing that vehicles can be re-examined after the test is concluded. If the Examiner finds that the appropriate standards have not been applied then the MOT Tester faces disciplinary action. So it matters not what length the owners legs may be the seat must be adjustable laterally.

tio

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 09:29:14 PM »
how would that apply to ex mod deafners as their seat position doesn't move, i need a better scrappy mine wanted over a hundred quid for two leather 2 seats out an rx8 where the the airbags had burst through already

Sooty

• been there winched that
  • Name: mike robertson
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 10:28:43 PM »
im also intruiged as to how you would apply those rules to kit cars & rally cars which have fixed seats that have been adjusted for there drivers?
Started out with nothing,
Still have most of it left

aqms987

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 12:27:27 AM »
 If it fails & you disagree then appeal. A VOSA Examiner will conduct an appeal test & you can make your case then. There is a general proviso that original design characteristics must be accepted. An example of this is series L/R with a split windscreen ie the bar in the middle must pass but a one piece screen as in a 90/110 with damage in the same area would fail. I suspect that Kit cars will fall foul of the seat rules.
 Just because someone builds it does not make it legal.  I have seen some pretty awful home built vehicles & some dreadful attempts at chassis repairs especially on Land Rover products usually camouflaged with underseal. The notion that one can buy a MIG plant & be a welder in a couple of days frightens me! I have seen such repairs result in a detached rear cross-member when a serious bit of towing was attempted, the underseal was not equal to the task!
 So if the vehicle left the factory with adjustable seats it will be expected to have adjustable seats for the rest of it's working life. I am not aware of any exemptions for Rally Cars either so perhaps there could be some disappointed people there. The foregoing is only my opinion so if you feel lucky crack on!