Starting engine becomes a non starter

· 8 · 1523

Dogmatix

• Name: Dave
Starting engine becomes a non starter
« on: August 12, 2014, 01:00:45 AM »
I've been rebuilding my Series 2A for quite some time now.
I've just the roof to paint and fit, the back door to fit and then wire up the interior light.
Today was going to be a breakthrough, I was going to start the engine for the first time in 12 years.
The battery was fully charged.
I filled the sump with oil, filled the tank with diesel and primed the fuel system.
I filled the radiator ..................... only to discover water leaking from the water pump.  >:(
I have to admit to spouting forth with much profanity.  :P
I didn't know you could get so frustrated by water dripping.
New water pumps ordered so hopefully by the weekend............. Then again, it is a Landrover, isn't it?........ :P
Man has achieved great things armed with a large hammer and a good working knowledge in profanity..........

lurch032003

Re: Starting engine becomes a non starter
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 12:39:43 PM »
I hope you get it sorted any pics ? I'm in middle of a rebuild too a s2a also look forward to hearing more of your build .

Dogmatix

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 11:50:49 PM »
Mine was a 'late' Series 2A registered in 1971.
The bulkhead was seriously rusted and I couldn't find one in a repairable state for a reasonable price so ended up having to repair and fit it with a Series 3. It looks more a Series 3 than a 2A.  :-[
I'll end up with a very practical Series Landrover though, which was what I wanted so I can't really complain.
I'll put some photo's on over the next couple of days.
Man has achieved great things armed with a large hammer and a good working knowledge in profanity..........

Dogmatix

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 01:36:58 AM »

lurch032003

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 03:01:04 AM »
 ;D its looking brill dave alot more done since i saw it in the garage really impressed.

lurch032003

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 03:02:19 AM »
i have a couple of water pumps from the two engines that where duff dave if that helps?

Dogmatix

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 11:13:42 AM »
Thanks for the offer of a pump, John. I've ordered one from Paddocks, hopefully I'll get it tomorrow.
I'll be adding some more pic's over the next few days.
I see the long running saga of the 'smoking diesel' is finally over.  :)

lurch032003

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 10:26:03 PM »
Hi Dave
Yep the chugger is fixed lol at long last, if you need anything just shout mate and if I have it I will pop down with it. Pm you message . I put a pic up in my update and look fir ward to seeing more pics and seeing you on the road soon  ;D