Disco 3 tow electrics

· 6 · 1346

jsrmacleod

• Name: John macleod
Disco 3 tow electrics
« on: July 03, 2014, 11:58:59 AM »
I'm now the very proud owner of a Discovery 3 and would like to fit the electrics for towing trailer and Caravan, I've just ordered the kit and was wondering if anyone can advise how easy or difficult is it to fit? Also I'm lead to believe it will have to be activated via computer software, who does this? Anyone with knowledge of this of would it have to be a Dealer?
Dirty Weeker

Dave T

Re: Disco 3 tow electrics
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 12:12:32 PM »
When I put electrics on I did it the cheap way with a generic plug and socket and spliced into the loom where the LR socket is, it didn't need to be enabled although I have heard some do.

Best guy for servicing and enabling of all things on a D3 is disco_mikey on the disco3 forum, mobile service and really knows his way round these things, all at a very reasonable price.

http://disco4.com/forum/member-disco_mikey.html

You can also get him on 07951 187204 or mike@mmplandrover.co.uk or MMP land rover on Facebook.

1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

Kev91

• Name: Kevin Fulton
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 01:49:12 PM »
I fitted a set to the back of A.J.M's D3 and it was very easy to do, just remove the rear bumper, pull out a grommet, feed through the electrics, plug in the multi plugs and screw the sockets on at the rear and put the bumper back on.

His was a '54' plate and did not need activating, not sure if that means anything though.

Navigator

• Discovery 4 Causeway
  • Name: Stuart Clink
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 04:02:31 PM »
Don't even need to remove the bumper if you can lie underneath!
Navigator          GM1VBE

jsrmacleod

• Name: John macleod
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 12:48:50 PM »
I've contacted my local/nearest Land Rover dealer and they said it will need activated, £92 + vat!  :o I have an appointment on Friday, I think I'll try it with the trailer board before I go ;)
Dirty Weeker

Navigator

• Discovery 4 Causeway
  • Name: Stuart Clink
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 12:58:38 PM »
You can save most of that price if you take Dave's advice and contact Disco Mickey.

By the way, the lights DO work without being enabled but the park sensors get confused - unless you put a wee bit black gaffer tape over them.
Navigator          GM1VBE