Steering tracking after Sumo bar

· 3 · 1197

Frank W

• Name: Frank Wolfe
Steering tracking after Sumo bar
« on: June 30, 2014, 08:50:12 PM »
Just fitted a Sumo bar to my Tomcat and set the Tracking to "Parallel" ( makeshift style) .... not sure what it should be and wondered if anyone has had an early Disco axle on an 88 inch chassis and had to do similar work  ?

Steering Tie-bar was bent at Torrance a few times, thanks to John, Stuart and Billy for the Field repairs, to keep me going, and drive home.

Vehicle is driven to and from events, but do not do more than 1k in a year.

Frank W
V8 3.5 90
V8 3.9 88

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
Re: Steering tracking after Sumo bar
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 04:44:52 PM »
The tracking on my Disco1 is 1mm toe OUT

This is Track Rod, not Drag link - yes?
(The bar between the wheels, not steering relay to sheels)

What I have is a bit of hollow tube, with some threaded bar inside it.... and a nut on the threaded bar to give me a measure I can adjust.

I set the length of the bar to be just brushing the rim of the wheel as close to the track rod as I can get.
I then use that bar between the rims as close to the drag-link as possible.... and there should be about a 1mm gap between the end of the bar and the rim.

If it helps to understand WHY toe out verses toe in.... its like this:
In a Rear-Wheel-Drive car - the car pushes the axles forward, and because the tyres are outside a pivot point, the friction on the road will drag them backwards, pivoting about the king-pins. Therefore you need to start wit the tyres pointing inwards, so when they get pushed backwards they end up parallel.
Likewise, in a Front-Wheel-Drive car, the tyres pull forwards, so pivot around the king-pins, and then drag the car forwards. By starting with the tyres a little back on the king-pins, the pull forwards will line them up.... and you'll have perfect tyres again

In a 4x4, the tyres all tyres should pull evenly, so the fronts will only swing forwards a wee smidgin... so one a wee bit of toe out is needed.

Frank W

• Name: Frank Wolfe
Re: Steering tracking after Sumo bar
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 05:50:20 PM »
Thanks for that Ian, my measurement scheme is a lot less accurate than rim to rim, so I could be 1mm either way...
Might just conjure up a similar tool and get a better comfort zone...
Thanks for the idea.

Frank W
V8 3.5 90
V8 3.9 88