Newbie - 16, Borders

· 12 · 2409

SovietBoy

• Name: Euan Angus
Newbie - 16, Borders
« on: May 13, 2014, 01:57:10 AM »
Hi Guys
First post here, just wanted introduce myself.
Im Euan from the Scottish Borders and my interest in Series LRs has been growing rapidly since I was 12. Recently, I have been binge watching videos on Youtube to try and satiate my appetite for them. Simply looking to meet like minded people and hopefully learn a few things along the way! Love the camaraderie that comes along with the Land Rover brotherhood and excited to be part of this forum.   

P.S
I have spent the last few months scouring the web in an effort to find myself a project Series II/IIA/III to cut my teeth on. However, my criteria of it being in Scotland (or very near) and £600 or under has made it rather difficult  Any ideas? Also keep reading stories of people who see/find abandoned ones in fields etc, Ive never seen one  Anyone know of any in Scotland worth visiting, even just to look at?   

ruaritreble

• ruariboy
Re: Newbie - 16, Borders
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 12:57:41 PM »
Welcome to the site Euan.

Series vehicles are very easy to work on and fairly easy to get parts new / 2nd hand but make sure you have a well stocked piggy bank to fund the project.
I shall make a phone call to see if there is one still lying at a farm. But you are looking at major welding. All good fun.

Karis 110 - The perfect way to get a MTB to the top of the hill.
Power to the pedal!

Myrtle Air Portable - V8
------------------------
MM6IIO
------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/ruariboy

http://s826.photobucket.com/home/ruariboy

mel

• Name: Patrick McInally
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 09:53:12 PM »
Hi if you can get yourself to bathgate on the 25th may the club has an open day and you can see/ talk to/even meet and gain some info about  and how to use your vehicle. could take you round course etc if you wish.its a good family day out catering toilets and othere atractions

SovietBoy

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 11:18:34 PM »
Ruaritreble-
My skill level then :D :D :D Started looking for a job to help boost my budget :D Cheers, thatd be interesting!!

Mel-
Sounds like an awesome time, I'll try! Keen to get some hands on experience before I get one :) :)

Big Rich

• Name: Richard Baird
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 07:45:09 PM »
I bought my series 3 two years ago for £700.  At the time I thought it was a steal but two years and at a conservative guess of twice the purchase price again the bills are still coming in.  It is a bit easier if you can get a runner then at least you can enjoy it while you get the cash together to improve it/restore it.

Rich

SovietBoy

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 09:29:25 PM »
:D She been worth it :D :D :D :D :D ? Good point, busy looking at spares I could begin to stockpile right now :D

Big Rich

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 07:04:17 PM »
:D She been worth it :D :D :D :D :D ? Good point, busy looking at spares I could begin to stockpile right now :D

Totally worth it especially when i look at the before and after pictures.  I do get quite proud with how it is now, although I am starting to get a bit precious with it ::) ::)

SovietBoy

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 11:17:15 PM »
:D :D Yeah, there seems to be a happy medium between worn out and pristine where Land Rovers look their best, just the right amount of patina :D
Got a pic? :)
Thanks
Euan

Big Rich

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 07:08:44 PM »
This was it on its first day.  Lokked alright at the time.....

[attachment deleted by admin]

Big Rich

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 07:10:54 PM »
This was it the day before its first green road run. It still looks pretty much the same.  to be honest it was only meant to be made presentable but when my old man started painting he couldn't stop :D

[attachment deleted by admin]

SovietBoy

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 07:29:04 PM »
Absolutely stunning, beautiful paint job too!
Thanks
Euan

Big Rich

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 08:27:20 PM »
Thanks. It was all done with foam rollers. Came out quite well in the end.