Harsh braking followed by swift change of underwear...

· 5 · 1400

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Harsh braking followed by swift change of underwear...
« on: May 08, 2014, 08:05:49 PM »
So, a company car up to Wick. Stopped to do the tourist thing on the way back. Nice.

....except that about 30 miles north of Perth on the way back, at about 65-70 mph, the bonnet opened, snapped back and flew straight off, no warning, no flapping about, just BANG and GONE. It landed in the road behind me, luckily the guy was able to stop....

Now, here's the tourist photo from 200 miles earlier - nothing wrong with that bonnet that I can detect ?

If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

lurch032003

Re: Harsh braking followed by swift change of underwear...
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 06:58:22 AM »
Glad you and everyone okay gene, the bonnet catch may of sprung loose over a bump in road but usually its a two stage click but at that speed soon as it loosened the wind would of just tore it off, nothing you could of done, hope you got home safe and get it fixed.
Cheers
John

BigPaul

• Name: BigP
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 12:43:17 PM »
I'm sure this was in one of the LR mags over the past couple of months.  Seemingly known week-spot is the bonnet catch.  They were showing how to fit bonnet pins/locks on a Discovery tdi. 

Job for the better weather then..

prof-pat-pending

• Name: nick
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 01:17:55 PM »
so is adranaline brown then ?  ;D  ;D  ;D
life is but a journey from birth to death - why rush ?
run a series landie and take your time
http://cumbriaclassiclandrovers.createaforum.com/index.php

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 01:27:18 PM »
"Company Car" so not my problem to fix, just a 2 page incident report to fill in ....

My own 90 has been retro-fitted with the MoD style spring-loaded hooks, as also seen on Series 1s.  Visibly secure and effectively bomb-proof. I was fed up with the effort required to pull the bonnet release cable, walking round the front to find it had locked again etc - so when I rebuilt the vehicle it got deleted and replaced with older but better technology !
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....