Diesel Fuel Distribution Pump Problems

· 5 · 1218

JimboH

• Name: Jimbo
Diesel Fuel Distribution Pump Problems
« on: April 13, 2014, 06:06:42 PM »
Hello Folks
Wonder if anyone can give me some advice please?
I'm Currently rebuilding a 1982 Series 3 2.25 diesel landie from the bottom up.
Reached the momentous stage - after about 1 year - of testing the electrics - All good, then introduced diesel into the engine this afternoon. Diesel right up to filter and into distribution pump- so far so good! Bled low pressure side - plenty diesel, then tried bleeding high pressure side (via screw on square control unit on pump) no diesel. Cracked open pipes at injectors and a little diesel visible - not a dribble - just wet.
Have turned the engine over but no engine start.
Of course, the pump might not be aligned properly, but first things first - I'm puzzled at the lack of diesel at the high pressure side of the pump and at the injectors.
Any advice/help would be very gratefully received!
Cheers
Jim

lurch032003

Re: Diesel Fuel Distribution Pump Problems
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 08:10:32 PM »
Has the cav pump been fitted if so the sprocket fits in only one way I got round this by packing grease into the bottom of the pump and looking into where it goes turn the sprocket till it matches and slowly place it down into the engine as no matter what you do no fuel will come out of the injectors if its not getting turned and then it's align the cav pump up correctly with the three bolts loose you can retard or advance the pump timing so the engine runs nice
I know this as silent a day pumping and checking all fuel lines from the tank to the pump to the filter to the cav a hundred times before I checked the sprocket drive and it was not seated correctly in and no fuel was coming to the injectors till it was sorted .
Hope this helps
John

JimboH

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 08:06:04 PM »
Hi John
Many thanks for the advice. I had to fit the pump back on during the rebuild and think I set it up properly - according to the Haynes manual. I'm not looking forward to taking the pump back off the engine again but if I get no where with the current problem I might just end up having to do this.
Will keep you posted.
Cheers
Jim

lurch032003

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 10:17:51 PM »
If you do end up taking it off to check it is working turn the sprocket to see if it is pumping as any fuel in it should be spat out the injector lines if not its a duff pump and I got a Spair u can have but check that first and look at the cog u will see on the pump and engine they will only fit together one way or the sprocket will sit out and no matter how much u crank no fuel will be pumped to the injectors.

JimboH

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 06:45:40 PM »
Ok John,  thanks again for the good advice. I'll have another go at the weekend and see what happens. Thanks also for the offer of a spare. I'll keep this in mind if I don't make any progress.
Cheers
Jim